Author Topic: Auto-Start  (Read 23489 times)

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Auto-Start
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 11:44:53 PM »
After I upgraded to Windows 7 and set up the service, I had some issues with crashing as well. If I remember correctly, my issue related to improper settings or firewall/port forwarding issues. I used SKJM's registry file to clear the iCam settings, deleted the service (from the registry as well), and started fresh. This is the order I did things after uninstalling icamsource, cleaning the registry, deleting the service, etc:

1) set up port forwarding in the router settings and assigned a static IP address to my computer (or enable uPNP if you want to use auto-router configuration in icamsource)
2) installed icamsource and set up the ports to forward (using the registry file to enable manual port forwarding) OR enable auto-router configuration (if using uPNP in the router settings)
3) added all cameras to icamsource and changed settings as desired, made sure auto start is enabled in icamsource, clicked start in icamsource to verify all cameras work properly, then exited icamsource
4) remove all references to icamsource from running automatically at Windows logon (Startup menu on Start Menu, etc)
5) with icamsource not running, set up icamsource as a service using directions in this post
6) started service and verified it functioned properly with my iPhone from wi-fi and 3g network

If you have issues, make sure that other programs aren't fighting for control of your camera(s)...especially any webcams. You can use ManyCam (free) to clone webcams so that they can be used with multiple programs (such as icamsource and a chat program like skype). Also make sure that any IP cameras have a static IP address on your network. Finally, verify that the ports are actually open through your router's firewall if you use manual port forwarding.

satom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
What would you put in your registry string if the cam was built in like on a laptop? Versus the ip of an external cam.

Thanks

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 12:44:44 AM »
Command line options are discussed at the links below. You would just replace the value for AppParameters with the command line options that would have come after icamsource.exe if you were running it in command line. I can't remember, but I think v=0 should be the starting point. Good luck!

http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=462.0

http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=416.15

satom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 07:06:26 AM »
@OUAnthony

So if I read you correctly on the links you sent me, there is no need to build the AppParameters as long as you run the program (icamsource.exe) once on it's own and build in your settings?  When you run it as a service in this configuration without the appparameters does it show up as a service or a process in the task manager?  Did you also set it up in the service to use a local account or set it up to run off an administrator account with a login password?

I was able to get it to somewhat work using a local account and appparameters but it seemed to lock up on me. That could be related to a post Stefan made explaining an instance of icamsource hanging in the background. My only complainant about using the app parameters is being able to adjust quality and telling the program specifically where I want it to dump the motion events. I'm hoping your idea of no app parameters will work for me.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 09:04:57 PM »
It's been a while since I've even looked at the settings...it's so stable that I never have to mess with it. But yeah, no need for appparameters. Just install icamsource, set up the camera(s) that you want and any other default settings you want...click start, then stop (to ensure the settings are saved)...then exit icamsource and configure it as a service.

In the logon tab in the icamsource service properties window, I entered my computer user account as the user and saved the password. I also use an automatic (delayed) startup so that it waits for the network to become available...but I use IP cameras.

In my registry, I also provided a dependency for DropBox...meaning DropBox runs before icamsource starts. I use DropBox to backup my images offsite in case someone steals my computer.

Anyway, let me know if you have any other questions. I love running icamsource as a service so it starts up automatically as soon as the computer is powered on.

satom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 07:53:58 AM »
I think I have it setup correctly but am running into two problems

1.  When I open icamsource, not as a service but as a program, with auto-start enabled the program does not connect to the server. I have to click stop and them start again to get the "connected to server" notifier. I have tested this and it happens everytime I run icamsource from scratch. I have killed the program and tried again and it happens everytime. I tried the manual port forwarding and that didn't solve anything. I'm pretty sure it's not a network issue since I can correct by stopping and starting. Having this issue though is making this not work as a service unless I use appparameters.

2.  When I do use appparameters, where do my images go?  I can't find them anywhere on the machine yet I see them on iPhone in recorded motion events.

Also with having an embedded camera and using appparameters is there a way to adjust quality?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 06:38:41 PM »
1) Sounds like maybe the atuo-start checkbox and the registry change that it's supposed to make when it's checked/unchecked possibly got out of sync. Maybe try stopping icamsource, unchecking auto-start, starting it, stopping it again, re-checking auto-start, then start/stop it one more time...finally exit icamsource and then rerun it to see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, I'm not sure what the issue is. I agree that it doesn't sound like it's network related...unless you're using auto-router configuration and maybe your router is hesitating. But you said you tried it with manual port forwarding...so that would eliminate that being the issue assuming you uncheck auto-router config while using the manual port forwarding. And to be clear, when you say you used manual port forwarding, that means you enabled it in icamsource AND set up a port forwarding rule in your router, right?

2) The images should be saved to the same folder that icamsource saves them to when you run icamsource as a program.

3) To adjust image quality, this is what I did on a computer with a webcam: 1) complete exit icamsource/stop the service 2) used the webcam software that came with the camera (you might also be able to use Live Messenger and/or Yahoo Messenger...or maybe even Skype) to change the settings...the options were in the video setup screen where you choose your camera source. You should be able to adjust contrast, flip the image, etc, with those settings. Once you get it the way you like it, make sure to save/apply the settings. 3) Exit the webcam software and re-run icamsource. Check to make sure the changes were applied. The changes are saved for the operating system...it's not on a per-program basis like many settings are.

satom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 05:50:37 AM »
Ok so I was able to get it to work but not under my account. The only waybi could get it to work was to put it under the local system account. Problem with that is I can't adjust any of the settings through the icamsource GUI. At this point I can only make changes to the program via the registry. Do yall have a decoder ring for the registry strings so I know what key goes with which slide bar in the program?  Also when I try to change motion events folder in the registry for that user account it always reverts back to the original setting. All other settings stay the same as I input.

Thanks

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 03:53:49 PM »
The ImageCompressionFactor value corresponds to the Better Frame Rate -> Better Image Quality slider

The MotionSensitivity value corresponds to the Less Sensitive -> More Sensitive slider

The MotionDetectionWait value corresponds to the More Often -> Less Often slider

If the iCamSource program is running when you change the registry settings, then the values you enter may be overwritten by the program.  If the program is closed and then the values are changed, then it will keep the new values.

satom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 07:18:40 PM »
Thanks to all. After uninstalling it and deleting the program from all user accounts in the registry I was able to get it working like OUAnthony has.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 02:06:37 AM »
Glad you got it working! Did you also install Dropbox as a service and set it as a dependancy for the iCam service so you can also have offsite backup of your motion events in case your computer is stolen? If you need any help with it, let me know.

satom

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 06:26:02 AM »
Got a new pc, which of course comes with new issues

I am currently running iCamSource on a Win7 machine as a service and the program works great minus to things I would like to get some help on.

1.  Is there a way whether in the registry for the service or something in icamsource to tell it to use a higher resolution on the webcam?  Cam can support up to 1280x1024 but always seems to default to 640x480.  I bought a netbook with a HD webcam for a specific reason and would like to find a way to manipulate icamsource to use it.

2.  I go in to change the folder where the motion events are stored but it seems when I run icamsource as a service it always starts storing the motion events in the default location of under the pictures folder in user files.  I have gone in an manually changed the registry to fix this but it always seems to go back to default.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 05:22:46 PM »
1) The only way I've found to change the resolution settings for a USB webcam it to use the software that came with the webcam (such as Logitech QuickCam). First stop icamsource service (make sure icamsource.exe is not running in the task manager), then open the webcam software and change the settings using that program...apply settings and exit webcam software. Start icamsource service. This will cause icamsource to use more processor resources, as it has to do more work to downsize the image to 640x480 (the max iCam can receive). I believe that icamsource will save the motion events in the original resolution (before downsizing it for streaming to iCam). Maybe the SKJM guys can confirm this?

2) I run icamsource as a service on my Win7 PC...and I don't have that issue. Try following these steps carefully and see if it fixes your problem:

a) stop icamsource service and make sure icamsource.exe is not running (task manager)
b) start icamsource (from the Start Menu, not the service)
c) in icamsource, click the stop button
d) change the recording folder (you might have to do it for each camera if you have multiple cameras)
e) in icamsource, click the start button
f) in icamsource, click the stop button (I do this just to make sure that it saved the previous settings)
g) exit icamsource (make sure icamsource.exe is not running)
h) run icamsource service from the control panel > administration > services
i) verify recording taking place in correct folder
j) reboot and re-verify correct folder for recording

satom

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 01:59:48 PM »
Tried what you suggested several times. It keeps changing back once I start the service.   How to you have the login set for the service?  This is very frustrating.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 04:20:21 PM »
That behavior might be caused by another instance of iCamSource running simultaneously that's overwriting the recording folder setting. Please check the process list in the task manager to make sure that there isn't an additional instance of iCamSource running (before you launch the service).