Author Topic: Erratic Connection Problems  (Read 2826 times)

john441

• View Profile
Erratic Connection Problems
« on: October 30, 2011, 11:01:07 AM »
I have been using iCam on my Mac for quite some time.  It worked flawlessly from day one. I use it in conjunction with my iPhone.

Recently I have been having connection problems.
Some time it will connect, but most of the time it wont.

At times I get a Source Connection Error stating that one or more of my iCam Sources returned by the iCam Broker Server could not be connect to.

At other times it does connect.  But after a short time I get it disconnected.

I am using an Airport Extreme router.  I never changed any of my settings.
This problem seemed to crop up on its own.

A while back I contacted tech support and was told that my connection was being broken and I should try resetting my modem and router.

This did not help.

I do have my firewall turned on, but I have iCam set up to allow incoming connections.  I have Auto Config Router turned on iCam Source.

The problem is with both WiFi and 3G.

I looked over some of the trouble shooting pages and I have no idea where to start.  I do not like the idea of messing around with my router settings, and possibly creating more problems.

This app has gone from one of my most favorite to useless!

As I said, this app worked great from day one. Never had any connection problems.  I never recall seeing all these trouble shooting pages when I first purchased the app.  It was plug & play for me.

If anyone has any simple suggestions that I may try, I would appreciate it.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Erratic Connection Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 04:56:03 PM »
Do you have uPNP (or the Apple equivalent) enabled in your router? Do you get any errors regarding port mapping in icamsource when you first start it up?

It definitely sounds like port forwarding issues. Personally, I have found manual port forwarding to be the best/most stable. It requires more time/effort to set it up, but it's rock solid (assuming your router is also rock solid).

The sudden issues are likely caused by network configuration changes made by AT&T (or your cell provider) and/or your ISP...or possibly even by someone inbetween the two. This is not an issue caused by icamsource/SKJM. I remember seeing other posts in the past about sudden connection issues, and SKJM mentioned AT&T network changes as the culprit.

If it isn't a port forwarding issue, then it is probably a firewall issue...but that doesn't sound likely since you say you have created exceptions for it. In your firewall rules for icam, do you have ports 12000-13000 forwarded (for UDP)?

john441

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »
Hi Anthony

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I do have AT&T.

You mention about setting firewall rules for iCam.
Could you please tell me where I may find the settings and
and have ports 12000-13000 forwarded?

I am running Mac 10.6.8

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 07:47:25 PM »
Unfortunately, I am not a Mac guy, so I'm not familiar with the firewall software on Macs. I'm sure a quick google search would help you, though. Or the SKJM guys could probably direct you to the appropriate thread on here.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 08:28:04 AM »
john441 - When you say that you are having this problem over WiFi I am assuming that you have this issue when iCam is connected to the same local WiFi network as the iCamSource?

As for the firewall being turned on, is it just the built-in firewall that is a part of Mac OS X? (System Preferences > Security > Firewall)

If you have this issue connecting via the some local WiFi network, then port forwarding or the Auto-Config Router checkbox isn't going to be the solution. (Those settings only effect connecting in from outside of your local network, either via 3G or a different WiFi network.)

If you temporarily turn off your Mac OS X firewall does that help your connectivity? (The protection your computer receives from its software firewall is essentially redundant if you are also connected behind a router, so your computer will not be exposed.)

john441

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 01:47:32 PM »
john441 - When you say that you are having this problem over WiFi I am assuming that you have this issue when iCam is connected to the same local WiFi network as the iCamSource?

Yes

If you temporarily turn off your Mac OS X firewall does that help your connectivity? (The protection your computer receives from its software firewall is essentially redundant if you are also connected behind a router, so your computer will not be exposed.)

I had tired both.  Shutting off the firewall and turning it on and allowing iCam incoming connections.  Neither way, made a difference.

In the meantime, everything is working great again.

I have no idea why. 

I was running it on both my iPhone & iPad throughout  the day without any problems.

I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

Thanks

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »
Glad to hear it. :)

Yes, please let us know if anything changes.