Author Topic: iCam Service?  (Read 4221 times)

enigma

• View Profile
iCam Service?
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:23:59 AM »
hi!

ive been using icam for a while now and i really like it  ;D

BUT one thing thats always been pissing me off:
you cant run the icam software as a service!!!  :-[

yeah, you can put it in the startup and have it run as soon as you login...
but! lets say you are on holidays and want to check whats going on at home:
you open up the iphone app and you get "unable to connect",
because there was a power shortage, the pc rebootet but it doesnt login automaticly...
get what i mean?

how the hell shud i now be able to login at a pc over 100km away?
that recently happened to me - on my 1st day of hollidays  ???
and note: finding another pc with internet access where i was, was almost impossible...

no, its not a solution to have the pc automaticly login - thats simply a security risk

cant the icam pc software be run as a service?
or is this maybe being planned for the future?

thank you everyone

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: iCam Service?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 04:11:46 PM »
The ability to run as a service isn't built into the iCamSource application, but running the iCamSource as a service was recently discussed in this thread: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=447.0

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: iCam Service?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 03:00:14 PM »
If you follow the directions in that link Jay posted (2nd set of directions by voip-ninja), you will be up and running in no time. Now I don't have to log in to Windows...it runs in the background. You just need to make sure your network connection is also being activated immediately upon computer boot (before login)...which I believe it is by default. If you really want to get tricky, rename the .exe file from icamsource.exe to svchost.exe or something like that. In XP, a couple of new things will appear in the task manager....srvany.exe (part of the NT resource pack) and icamsource.exe (or whatever you rename it to). Users logged in will see these listed in the task manager. In Vista, I noticed that instead of showing the name of the executable, it actually lists the service name (the name you type when you add the service) under the services column of the task manager...it does not list the actual .exe files anywhere (that I saw).

If you use this for security, I also highly recommend that you get a free dropbox account and download/setup their software, which will automatically backup the images to their website. Originally the images are simply stored on the computer's hard drive. Since thieves usually take the computer, the images would be gone for good unless you managed to view/save them to your iphone before the power is disconnected. I added the dropbox program as a service so it starts up upon boot along with icamsource. In fact, I believe I made icamsource dependent upon dropbox, so that dropbox would load first. dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTUzMzgyNjE5 (info thanks to Zarkov at http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=615.msg3069#msg3069)

And finally, if you ever access your computer while you're away from home using a RDP app (like WinAdmin), you can get a free dynamic dns account from dyndns.com and their free software which keeps your IP address up-to-date in their system. I run this as a service now as well...so my IP address will always be updated and I will always be able to access my computer (as long as my router with correct firewall/port forwarding settings doesn't crash). If you don't use this feature, you might consider it...as icamsource does crash occasionally. If it does, you can login from 1,000 miles away and restart the service. On a security note, I set my Windows account to lockout after 3 incorrect password entries in order to reduce the chances of some hacker gaining access. If you do that, just make sure you have a (strong) password set for both your account and the administrator account. You will have to access the admin account in order to unlock your account...should the password ever be entered incorrectly 3 times in a row (or whatever value you define).