Author Topic: Safe, fast backup of MJPEG streams via Dropbox!  (Read 20971 times)

Zarkov

• View Profile
Safe, fast backup of MJPEG streams via Dropbox!
« on: December 30, 2009, 03:38:24 PM »
I want to occasionally use iCam as a simple security system.  I was concerned that in the event that someone broke into my house, one of the first things they'd go for was my computer.  So, other than anything I was able to snap of the iCam data stream on my iPhone (assuming I acted on a push alert), the record of the burglary would be gone.  I wanted some way to backup the data stream other than on the machine running iCam Source, so if the computer is stolen you can still get the perp’s picture.

I've been playing around with Dropbox, and I think it’s a killer solution.  Note that the MJPEG images comprising the iCam stream are stored in Pictures are presently stored in:

[user]/pictures/iCam source motion events/[gigantic hash sequence]/[date-time stamp].

If you make an alias of the [gigantic hash sequence] folder you can drop it in the Dropbox, which might be on your computer desktop.  Do not rename the alias! Any images that appear in the [gigantic hash sequence] folder are immediately reflected in the Dropbox Cloud server, as well as anyplace else you have a synchronized Dropbox.  This updating is continuous and does not wait for the motion trigger event to be completed!

The mirrored Dropboxes will show the JPEGs in the Dropbox files, just as they do on your computer.  However, if you throw away the file from the alias in Dropbox, the file is gone for the Mac as well – so be careful.

This seems to be an ideal solution to remote backup of the MJPEG stream.  I've tried it and it works!  Best of all, Dropbox is free for up to 2GB folder.  If you get Dropbox using this link: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM0MDgwNjM5 you (and I ) will get an extra 250 MB of storage.  

And, thanks to Stefan for doing a sanity check on my ideas!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:02:44 AM by Zarkov »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Safe, fast backup of MJPEG streams via Dropbox!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »
Thanks for the great post, Zarkov! I currently use this scheme, and must agree that it works great ... And it's free! :)

edgotbait

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 04:42:49 PM »
could you say all that in none computer savvy terms
down loaded  drop box   

now what?

Zarkov

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 08:11:30 AM »
could you say all that in none computer savvy terms
down loaded  drop box   

now what?
Well, first install Dropbox, then set up an account with Dropbox using the directions (even a video) on their site.  This will create a folder on your Mac (I put mine on the desktop).  Anything you put in that folder is copied to the Dropbox servers in the "Cloud" - which just means they store it for you.  If you install another Dropbox on another machine, you have a simple way to "teleport" files between the two machines, but you don't need that for this application.  All you want is a way to store files offsite.

Now you have to find the folder that holds the iCam videos.  That's located at [user]/pictures/iCam source motion events/[gigantic hash sequence]/[date-time stamp].  Here User is the folder in Finder that has all your stuff in it.  Inside that is a folder called Pictures, etc.  The [gigantic hash sequence] is my name for the folder that has the recorded iCam video files in it, because it is a long string of apparently random alphanumeric characters.

Make an alias of that folder by selecting it and control-clicking it and selecting "Make Alias" (if you're using a PC, it'll be a right-click).  Drop that folder in the Dropbox.  You can change the name to something like "iCam files" if you wish, but do not change the name of the original file - the  one with the  long string of apparently random alphanumeric characters.  If you do, iCam can't find it.

Now anytime iCam records anything, you'll find a copy of it appears in the Dropbox.  It's stored on their servers, where it can easily be retrieved, even if your computer is gone.

Hope this helps!

Icamuser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:25:44 PM »

Too bad my iPhone can see the shortcut in the Dropbox (PC) but can't open it for the iCam pictures.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 04:16:58 PM »
That might just be a difference between how Windows and OS X treat shortcuts, unfortunately.

Icamuser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:03:37 PM »
The use of the shortcut is interesting.  When I am on the PC on which the actual iCam folder and dropbox exist, it appears to work. But when i go to the Dropbox and click on the iCam shortcut folder, it takes me to the folder on the PC.  If I turn off the PC and go to another PC and log into Dropbox and click on the iCam folder, it asks to open it and then goes nowhere.   It appears that the iCam picture is not really replicated on Dropbox, or at least in this experiment.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 05:05:07 AM »
For Windows users, you will need to open your icamsource (from the taskbar) and use the "change" button to change the directory for saved motion images...from the default to the new dropbox folder, which is automatically sync'd. Once you do this, your pictures will be sync'd to dropbox's server. Big thanks to you Zarkov...this is the only thing that I REALLY felt was missing from this awesome app.

elkskins_j

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 08:10:20 AM »
hello, not sure why this is method is needed, dont all the images store to your iphone anyways?  and does anyone know if there is a way to just record the events to your pc and NOT to your iphone too?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 11:03:50 AM »
The Motion Events are actually only stored on the computer running the iCamSource. They are streamed to your iPhone running iCam when you view them.

RudyW

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 06:49:40 PM »
After some experimentation, I got the iCam motion events folder file into dropbox, but couldn't open it - allegedly unsupported file format.  Then, I put the motion events folder into the photo folder in Dropbox and voila - success.  Photos are saved and viewable.

PC Path:  (User) - My Documents - My Dropbox - Photos

takisot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 10:28:09 AM »
After some experimentation, I got the iCam motion events folder file into dropbox, but couldn't open it - allegedly unsupported file format.  Then, I put the motion events folder into the photo folder in Dropbox and voila - success.  Photos are saved and viewable.

PC Path:  (User) - My Documents - My Dropbox - Photos

Great! The same applies to Mac.  Go to Icam-Motion Detection-Motion Events Folder-Change and browse until you find dropbox folder-pictures which you should select.

dfrisby

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 07:16:15 AM »
Very nice - you have an extra 250Mb from me!!!

maxglide

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 12:55:31 AM »
Hi
Can anybody help me out with a problem? I'm having the same issues using iCam and drop box.
The alias is unreable in Dropbox on my mac laptop, iPad and iPhone and comes up as an Unix Executable file.
I'm creating an an alias( 732aec2a83f77ba20ac717de2d6f69122fe6ef94 alias) and putting it into the photos folder in Dropbox. The jpeg images come up fine viewing them in Dropbox on my home computer. What is the obvious thing I'm missing?

Thanks!

neils

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 09:52:17 AM »
delete the word "alias" at the end of the Dropbox folder name.