Author Topic: iCamSource crashes immediately on startup on iMac with Mountain Lion  (Read 6502 times)

hubris

• View Profile
After upgrading to Mountain Lion on my iMac, iCamsource will not run. When I double-click it, the icon appears in the menu bar for a second or two, then disappears.

I've completely deinstalled it, removed the preference file, restarted, then reinstalled with a newly downloaded copy of 2.5, but still have the same result.

I have a crash log from the Console if you would like to see it (I wasn't sure if I should post it here or email it to you).

Thanks for your help.

David

35remington

• View Profile
Re: iCamSource crashes immediately on startup on iMac with Mountain Lion
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 06:01:49 PM »
Running it here with no problems. I know that doesn't help your issue, but just wanted to assure that the program is designed to be compatible with ML.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 07:59:08 PM »
I would suggest closing the iCamSource application and then deleting your com.skjm.icamsource.plist file in your Library/Preferences folder in your home folder. Then, when you re-start the iCamSource, you will be starting with a fresh set of preferences, and hopefully things will act as expected.

The ~/Library directory for some reason. You can get to that directory by running Finder and then holding the Option key while clicking on the "Go" menu at the top of the screen. If you're holding down the Option key, "Library" will be one of the choices available. You should choose Library, then open the Preferences folder. The plist file will be in there.

If you are still having issues then yes, please e-mail the crash log(s) to support@skjm.com and reference this forum post in your e-mail.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:00:47 PM by Stefan »

hubris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:17:17 PM »
Crash log sent via email.

Thanks.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
Thank you for that.

The iCamSource appears to be crashing on startup when it asks the system for its list of video input devices.

What webcams or other video devices do you currently have connected to your iMac besides the built-in camera? Does Photo Booth launch and function without issue when the iCamSource is still crashing?

hubris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 07:42:12 PM »
I have the built-in iSight camera on the iMac, and I had an old FireWire iSight camera attached as well, which had worked with iCamSource previously. After the problem started I unplugged the external iSight camera, but that did not seem to matter. I also deleted the preferences file after unplugging the external iSight without effect.

Photo Booth works fine.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 10:30:54 PM »
Looking again at the crash log, it appears to crash when accessing a function in the com.echofx.igrabber.component.digitizer package.

Googling around a bit it looks like this device may be related to the problem: http://www.geniatech.com/pa/igrabber.asp

Or perhaps another device from EchoFX: http://www.echofx.com/

Do you use any of those devices? Do you have any drivers or software installed on your iMac related to those devices?

hubris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 04:53:44 PM »
I do have iGrabber installed. It has peacefully coexisted with iCamSource in the past.

I've fooled around with the iGrabber settings, and at one point got the iCamSource preferences window to open, but though the cameras showed up in the selection drop down, no video was shown.

After more fiddling and a few reboots, I'm back to square one ad cannot get iCamSource to stay open. Photo Booth works fine.

I do use iGrabber, but I suppose I could install/uninstall it as necessary when it's needed. Obviously, that's not the best solution.

Any suggestions are welcome.

hubris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 05:22:24 PM »
Adding to the above:

After more experimentation, I've determined that iCamSource will only open if the iGrabber application is also running. But, as mentioned above, even though both cameras show up as sources in the iCamSource preferences, no video is seen.

Well, now I have to take that back. I closed the video window in iGrabber, and the video preview started up in iCamSource preferences. I then closed iGrabber and iCamSource is working again.

So apparently if I start up iGrabber, then iCamSource, I can then quit iGrabber and iCamSOurce keeps running.

Awkward, but if that's as good as it gets, I can live with that.

Thank you for your help narrowing the causes of the issue down.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 11:29:27 AM »
Not sure why iGrabber would be causing an issue only when it isn't running. Is the iGrabber capture device plugged into your computer when you are doing these tests? I tried installing the iGrabber software and didn't experience the same issue. Are you running their latest software?

hubris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
I apologize for taking so long to reply.

Yes, the iGrabber device has been plugged in this whole time, both back when everything worked normally worked fine, and now with the requirement that it has to be started for iCamSource to start.

I downloaded and reinstalled the newest iGrabber software: it was the same version I had previously.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »
If you try starting the iCamSource without the iGrabber software running or the device physically plugged in does the iCamSource still crash? That is essentially what I tried (just the iGrabber software installed and not running) and was unable to replicate the crashing problem.

hubris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 03:35:29 PM »
If I start the iCamSource application without iGrabber running, the icon will appear in the menu bar, then disappear after a few seconds. The preferences windows never shows up.

Unless you're just bound and determined to track this down, I'm okay with my current situation. I don't want to take up your time trying to solve something that may be unique to my setup.

But I thank you nonetheless for your time so far.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »
Ok, I was just wondering if the iGrabber device was unplugged from your computer when launching the iCamSource if that made any difference.

If I start the iCamSource application without iGrabber running, the icon will appear in the menu bar, then disappear after a few seconds. The preferences windows never shows up.

Unless you're just bound and determined to track this down, I'm okay with my current situation. I don't want to take up your time trying to solve something that may be unique to my setup.

But I thank you nonetheless for your time so far.

hubris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »
Wow, I could have sworn that tried that already but…

Yes, when I unplug the iGrabber device, iCamSource starts up fine with no problems.