Author Topic: multiple cams  (Read 7938 times)

kc8cam

• View Profile
multiple cams
« on: March 16, 2009, 04:18:53 PM »
Greetings. First I wanted to say great piece of webcam software. Love it! I have a Newer Mac. How can I run multiple cameras on the same mac. I am not able to run 2 instances of the same progrsm. I have the built in Isight...then I have the logitech vision pro facing out the patio. I would like to monitor both cams. Any ideas?? Thanks.

bamirian

• View Profile
Re: multiple cams
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 05:54:59 PM »
I managed to get two instances of the app to launch by the iCamSource.app directory to iCamSource2.app.  Don't have two webcams right now to test if this will work.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »
On a Mac, what bamirian suggested is correct.  You need to make a copy of the iCamSource app in order to get two instances running.

On Windows, you can just run the iCamSource program twice. 

If you want to view both cams on the same iPhone, make sure you use the same login and password for both instances of iCamSource.

kc8cam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 08:24:18 PM »
Hey thanks that worked:) I am still learning the differences between pc and mac. Another question though.... is there away to mute the audio? I do not see a way on the mac. pc version has quick cam software. Mac camera does not. Thanks fellows.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 10:24:07 PM »
To mute a microphone on a Mac, just go to System Preferences -> Sound and click the Input tab.  On that page, you can set the volume for any microphones connected to your Mac.  To mute a mic, just set it's input volume all the way down.

robaco78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 03:03:55 PM »
  Let me start by saying that I think this is one of my favorite apps for my iPhone.  This is a great idea and even though I just got it yesterday I'm loving it already.  My problem is I can only get it to work with one cam.  I made a copy of the iCamSource and open the copy up and it will only display one camera at a time.  If I connect it to the built in cam (I have an iMac) then I can't connect it to my usb cam or vice versa.  I can't get it to display both cams at the same time.  It shows both cams in the video selection area but when I try to start the second one it just stays in black screen.  My usb cam is actually my Xbox cam (I decided to plug it into my Mac to see what would happen and it worked).  Could that be the problem and if so what cam works good with my Mac and this program?  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong so any ideas would be appreciated.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 11:50:33 PM »
robaco78 - When you make a copy of the iCamSource are you running both the original and the copy at the same time? And are you choosing a different camera when you run each copy? Running two cameras from the same computer isn't really the supported configuration, but many users have had success doing just that.

Also, are you using the same login and password on both sources and iCam on your iPhone?

greenham

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 08:35:12 AM »
Stefan,

I too love this App. I was hoping to set up 3 or 4 cameras tied into a USB hub on a Wndows Vista box. Are you saying that isn't a supported configuration?

Dean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 08:52:23 AM »
I have the same issue when trying to run two instances of iCamSource. I cant get the second one to transmit data from the camera, just a black screen on the OS X app, then it stops trying. I'd love to be able to use more than one cam.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 09:50:34 AM »
greenham - It's not a supported configuration because running multiple instances of the iCamSource on the same computer is not the way the iCamSource was designed to be run. It was originally intended to be run on separate computers at separate locations. Now, that being said, many many users have had success running multiple instances on the same computer, it's just that when you start adding USB hubs into the equation that the webcams connected through them have been known to have issues maintaining a connection with the computer. If you are planning on running any number of cameras through a USB hub I would definitely make sure that it is independently powered, and if you have issues I would try connecting the cameras directly into the computer first.

Dean - What are the make and model of the cameras you are using?

Dean

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 10:00:56 AM »

Dean - What are the make and model of the cameras you are using?

Both are Microsoft Xbox 360 Cameras. I've also tried it with one built-in iSight on a MacBook, and one Xbox 360 Camera with the same result for whichever camera I try to turn on second.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 12:54:54 PM »
Dean - What do you mean by "it stops trying"? Also, what version of OS X are you running and what type of MacBook is it? (Processor, memory, etc.)

Have you tried rebooting?

Dean

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 06:25:39 PM »
Those are my Macs. Rebooting doesn't do anything on either machine.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 09:02:58 PM »
Dean - Nice screenshot. :)

Are you plugging the Xbox cameras directly into the computers or into a USB hub? If you are plugging them into a USB hub, try plugging them directly into the computer, or even try different USB ports.

With the MacBook, have you tried starting the first iCamSource with the Xbox camera and then tried the second one with the Built-In? It looks like you have. When the iCamSource "gives up" does the Start button become enabled again? If so, have you tried re-clicking it? When it is "trying" does the activity light on the webcam come on at all?

Have you perhaps tried selecting different audio sources?

As was stated before, this has worked for a large number of users, so I'm not sure what the issue might be. Do the applications crash at all? Are you also running iChat or any other application that might be attempting to access the camera?

Dean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 08:39:33 AM »
None of the seems to be the problem or solution... It's ok, I've given up for now.

Thanks for the help. :)