Author Topic: NightVision IR produces Glare on Window - Any Solutions for Monitoring Outside?  (Read 2398 times)

Dugdale

• View Profile
I want to monitor what is happening outside my house so I mounted my SkyIPCam500W on the inside just in front of my double pane glass window.

During the day it works great, but at night all the IR gets relected off the glass back in to the lens.

I am sure others are using this camera, how have you gotten around this issue?

Do I create some sort of snoot just for the lens up to the window so it won't reflect back? I am guessing that will not work since I have two panes of glass.

If I mount it outside inside of an enclosure will it survive more than a year in that environment?

Dave

Fubar

• View Profile
I don't have the same camera but I do have the same problem.  I disabled the IR lights on the camera.  I couldn't find an option in settings so I had to open the camera and unplug the power cable for the lights.  I have been looking online to find a solution to add IR on the outside of the house.  I may add a motion sensing white light and forget about adding IR. Either way, I'll have to run power to the outside of the house. In the end, i should probably mount an outdoor camera if I'm going to do the work to get power where I need it. 

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I had the same issue, so I just mounted the camera outside on the patio. You could try covering the LEDs with electrical tape to see if that works for you, but then you'll lose the night-vision illumination that the LEDs generate.

twink

• View Profile
I bought the YY Trade IR30 - 60-90 degree WideAngle 30 LED Indoor/Outdoor Long Range 50ft IR Illuminator for $17 on Amazon. It comes without the 12v adapter for that price but is weatherproof and works great at about 20 feet. It has a photo sensor and comes on at dark and uses only 3w.