Author Topic: After 24h-disconnection: No Cam using WLAN, but 3G works!  (Read 3328 times)

Rongador

• View Profile
After 24h-disconnection: No Cam using WLAN, but 3G works!
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:38:01 AM »
Hello,

first: iCam is a nice toy, thanks :-)

Now I have tested around a little bit and made all this portforwarding-stuff, so that I can use iCam even when using 3G on my iphone. As you know, all providers make a internet-disconnection after 24 hours. So I wanted to see, what happens then... will I still see my cam after reconnection?

So i opened iCamSource on my PC and started "iCam" on the iPhone. Everything works fine: WLAN and 3G.

Now I turned my router off and on, so that the internet-connection got lost. Of course the cam stood still and no new picture was shown. After the router was connected to the internet again, the Webcam started again in iCam using 3G (WLAN was automatically turned off by the iPhone, because no WLAN was there anymore).

So I turned on "WLAN" on the iPhone again, but: No picture. Even when I restart iCam using WLAN on the iPhone no webcam could be connected. When I turned off WLAN, the Cam works again under 3G... but not with WLAN anymore.

WLAN just worked again, when I closed "iCamSource" on my pc and started it again.

Could you please fix this bug? Everything works fine with 3G, but with WLAN there will be no picture anymore after a internet-reset like 24h-disconnection through the provider.

Also the new BETA 1.4.2.6 did not fix the problem.

Looking forward to answers...

Rongador
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:49:15 AM by Rongador »

Rongador

• View Profile
Re: After 24h-disconnection: No Cam using WLAN, but 3G works!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:42:36 AM »
P.S.: Push-Notification does not work so far... I turned it on, even in the preferences of the iPhone for iCam... but no notification comes up. In this time all guys could steal everything from my rooms... ;-)

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 09:21:01 AM »
Rongador,

I'm not sure who your ISP is...but I have cable internet through Time Warner and I never get disconnected...after 24 hours or after 2 weeks. You might talk to your ISP about the connection dropping. They might be assigning you a new IP every 24 hours or something...which might make you lose internet connection for a second. But even if that is happening, your computer shouldn't really skip a beat.

As far as thieves potentially stealing your computer, etc, without notification, you should consider installing dropbox on your computer (it's free...and they have a free app for the iPhone). Once you install it, open icamsource and change the location of the recording folder so that it's located within dropbox's backup folder. Dropbox automatically uploads all files (in real-time) that are in the backup folder to its servers...creating a quick/easy off-site backup of your motion detection images. So even though you might not get a notification, you will still have images of the thieves.

Hope this helps you some...and good luck with all of those weird issues you're having.

Rongador

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:34:54 AM »
;-) Thanks for this replay. But that was not my question :-)

I dont care about thieves... that was a joke, because NO push-notification came... why is this option activated, when no notification comes suddenly up, when something moves on the webcam?

The 24h disconnection is normal... every ISP (here in germany) does that... thats normal. The problem is: When this disconnections comes up (or when i manually disconnect and connect again), there is no possibility to see webcam through "iCam" on the iPhone using WLAN... just when I restart iCamSource, i can see the picture using WLAN again. With 3G: No problem, even after reconnect.

So did you understand the problem!? Internet disconnets and connects again: 3G works, but no WLAN-Cam anymore on iPhone!

Rongador

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 12:03:02 PM »
P.S.: Tested the app a little bit further... when low-light and I am moving in front of the camera in my room, the app crashes... just right back to homescreen. Have to start it again - same thing when low light (you can see windows in the background and just my silhouette walking across the room - CRASH)... when I turn on the lights in the room, it does not crash any more... why is that?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:04:28 PM »
I don't work for SKJM or anything...was just trying to give you some options. Most providers in the US do not automatically disconnect users. Does this disconnect happen on the 24th hour even if you are downloading a file or something? Or does it only happen if your computer has been idle for a certain amount of time? If it only disconnects if idle, there are some "anti-timer" programs that you can download which will keep your computer from appearing idle to your ISP.

If you are using Windows, you could use a batch file to kill icamsource and then restart it immediately shortly after the 24h disconnect occurs. I know that's not ideal, but it's option to get it functional for you on the local network. Using Windows task scheduler, schedule the batch file to run every 24th hour. Below is a link where I discuss how to do that. You would want both commands in the same batch file...taskkill on the 1st line and icamsource.exe on the 2nd line:

http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=627.msg3075#msg3075

If you aren't sure when the disconnect will occur or if it varies, you could schedule the batch file to run every hour or something.

Do you have the latest version of icamsource installed?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:38:33 AM »
Rongador - It sounds like your computer is being assigned a new internal IP address when you unplug the router.  This isn't a situation that normally occurs.  If you're experiencing this issue regularly (due to power blackouts or something), you can configure your computer to use a static IP address.  There are instructions for configuring your computer to use a static IP address here: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

If you are having trouble getting push notifications working, please answer the following questions:

- Is the Send Push Notifications checkbox checked in the iCamSource on your computer? Does the motion indicator turn green in the iCamSource when motion is detected?
- Are Notifications enabled for iCam in your iPhone's Settings > Notifications settings?
- Is your iPhone jailbroken or unlocked?  We have heard reports of Push Notifications not working in unlocked phones (not just iCam, any notifications).  Another iCam user with an unlocked phone was able to get notifications working.  There's more information here:  http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=379.0