Author Topic: TrendNet TV-IP410W / affordable Wifi camera  (Read 7199 times)

fnord123

• View Profile
TrendNet TV-IP410W / affordable Wifi camera
« on: June 28, 2010, 09:40:03 AM »
I just discovered and bought iCam and am using iCamSource at home.  I want to get some 802.11 cameras to use with it.  A couple questions:

The TrendNet TV-IP410W (http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=160_TV-IP410W&cat=148) is advertised as having MJPEG support - so this should work with iCamSource, even if it is connected to my PC via Wifi, correct?

Also, there is a sale on this camera for ~$100 going on - I am wondering if this is a good price for a VGA resolution Wifi camera that is compatible with iCamSource - do people know of higher resolution (for same price) or lower price (at same resolution) cameras that support 802.11 and work with iCamSource?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: TrendNet TV-IP410W / affordable Wifi camera
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »
You actually probably don't want higher resolution for use with iCam, as icamsource will have to use more of your computer's CPU in order to resize the images to a lower resolution that will work with iCam...something to consider. However, it might be worth getting higher resolution if you also use the cameras for other purposes. I am not sure if the stored images (if you enable motion recording) from icamsource are the original resolution or the reduced-resolution version of the images. If they are full-size, it might also be worth going with the higher resolution.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 12:42:24 AM »
fnord123 - The Trendnet camera should work with iCamSource if it outputs MJPEG formatted data. 

You can try our free webcam serving software, iCamSource, to see if it works with your camera.  Mac and Windows versions of iCamSource are available here:  http://skjm.com/icam/support.php 

When you run iCamSource, you'll need to select the "Ethernet / Wi-Fi" tab because your camera is a network camera, not a USB camera.  Then, enter the MJPEG or JPEG URL for your camera.

If the MJPEG or JPEG URL isn't something that can be found by searching around with Google or by contacting their support, we actually have another solution available, although it is currently in its very preliminary stages, and that is: http://skjm.com/icam/mjpeg_test.php

When you enter the camera's IP address and port into that web page, it will attempt to connect to the camera using all of the common MJPEG and JPEG URLs that we are aware of. If any of the URLs produce an image, then that is the URL to use in iCamSource. 

If your camera requires a login and password, you can enter them in that webpage right before the address :  login:password@Camera_address

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 12:46:46 AM »
OUAnthony -  You are correct that the images sent to the iPhone will be resized to fit on the phone and that it may use more CPU to resize an HD input.  The images stored for motion recordings are the raw images from the camera, so they will be in the resolution captured from the camera.  That resolution may still be VGA (640x480) even for HD cameras, since cameras usually have the ability to output several different resolutions.  It depends on the camera.