Author Topic: iCam Source 1.4.2 keeps crashing on two XP machines.  (Read 14216 times)

trujillo

• View Profile
iCam Source 1.4.2 keeps crashing on two XP machines.
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:03:11 AM »
On 3/23 I upgraded iCam Source from 1.4.1 to 1.4.2.  Since then, iCam Source keeps crashing on two XP machines.   

Machine 1  - 2 IP cameras

Machine 2  - 1 IP camera

Sometimes all of iCam Sources crash, while other times only one iCam Source crash.   Basically 1.4.2 is unreliable for me.

I did not have any of these issues with 1.4.1.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: iCam Source 1.4.2 keeps crashing on two XP machines.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:30:04 AM »
Do you know if there is an event related to the iCamSource crashing? Is it when you first run the iCamSource, when you click the Start button, when you attempt to connect using iCam, etc.?

The previous version of the iCamSource can now also be downloaded from http://skjm.com/icam/support.php

If you uninstall 1.4.2 and re-install 1.4.1 does your crashing problem again go away?

Glock22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:06:39 PM »
I too have this exact issue. I updated to 1.4.2 from 1.4.1 and now it constantly crashes. I was very stable at 1.4.1, so I uninstalled 1.4.2 and tried to re-install 1.4.1. However, after installation, I noticed that iCam source was still at 1.4.2! I tried again to uninstall (1.4.2) and then re-install (1.4.1) but still the same problem; iCam source was again version 1.4.2. Seems I can't get rid of 1.4.2. Don't know what to do; serves me right for updating. 

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 03:21:01 PM »
It seems like the Windows uninstaller isn't working as expected.

If you uninstall version 1.4.2, delete the C:\Program Files\iCamSource folder, and then re-install 1.4.1 it should work as expected.

Please let us know if that works for you, and if it fixes your crashing problem.

What version of Windows are you running?

Glock22

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:35:02 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I'm running Windows XP on one machine and Windows Vista on the other. Both, work fine and would never crash before; I'll try your uninstallation suggestion when I get home and post my results. Again, thank you.

captual

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 04:12:55 PM »
Windows XP.  I also have iCam Source 1.4.2 always crashing. Can not associate it with any given operation, i.e. push, audio on, auto-start, etc. Have good internet. Using either USB Logitech cam or built in cam on Dell laptop both crash iCam Source after few minutes of operation. Also could Not uninstall 1.4.2.
Followed above post advice and deleted from program files. Then re-installed 1.4.1 ok.    After running 1.4.1 for five hours, plus stop and start and switching from built-in cam to usb cam... No Crash and Sound now working too...did not with 1.4.2 .

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 03:45:39 PM »
For those who are experiencing crashes with the 1.4.2 version of the iCamSource, we would like to try and narrow down what the cause of the issue might be.

- If 1.4.2 is crashing, if you revert back to 1.4.1 do the crashes stop? (You may have to delete the C:\Program Files\iCamSource folder once you uninstall 1.4.2 to completely remove it before installing 1.4.1)
- Does the iCamSource crash when you first run it, when you click the Start button, when you connect with iCam via WiFi, or when you connect via 3G? (You can temporarily disable WiFi on your iPhone to connect via 3G.)
- If the iCamSource does not crash with any of the above events but instead crashes randomly, are there any other events (computer going to sleep, etc.) that might coincide with when it crashes? Do you have any sort of time frame that it usually crashes within?

Thanks for your help and patience! :)

digitalfx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 06:29:16 AM »
After more investigating...

icamsource 1.4.1 with icam 1.3.1 - no crashes just slow to connect sometimes
icamsource 1.4.2 with icam 1.3.1 - crashes randomly on connection from icam from 3G only (not on wifi or edge)
icamsource 1.4.1 with icam 1.3 - no problems
icamsource 1.4.2 with icam 1.3 - no problems

All computers running icamsource are 24/7 with no power saving features turned on.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 08:18:06 AM »
Very interesting. You are the second user to experience the crash with 1.4.2 only when connecting via 3G, although the other user crashes more consistently. We have yet to re-create the problem, unfortunately.

We are going to put together a logging version that will generate a log file when run that will hopefully give us some indication where the crashing issue lies. We will hopefully have it available within the next day or so.

Thanks for your continued help and patience.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 02:22:46 PM »
1.4.2 only crashed consistently for me when I ran 2 instances of icamsource. I had 1 instance feeding an IP cam (stable) and 1 instance feeding a blank manycam with audio only (crashed immediately after running at startup). I did have a problem once with the IP cam instance crashing after access from my iPhone...but it crashed when I used the delete all feature for motion events. At that time, I also had the audio instance of icamsource running as well, but that one seemed to be stable. Ever since then, the audio version has crashed at startup (which I didn't bother re-running), and the IP cam instance has been stable...even using the delete all motion events feature. All access attempts were made using 3G.

I uninstalled 1.4.2 and reinstalled 1.4.1. Now both instances (the IP cam and audio) are running properly at bootup, and are stable.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 03:29:29 PM »
OUAnthony - When you say "crashing at startup" is that when it was first launched, or when you clicked the Start button?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 07:38:28 PM »
I have 2 shortcuts in my startup folder in my Start menu...one of them executes the icamsource for the IP camera, and the other executes the icamsource for the blank ManyCam. So once I log in to the computer, almost immediately, the blank icamsource with audio crashes. The problem was solved by downgrading to ipcamsource 1.4.1.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 08:31:13 PM »
OUAnthony - If you start them manually (as opposed to them coming up automatically on startup) does it still crash?

- - -

For those users who are able to make the iCamSource crash by connecting via 3G:

We have prepared a troubleshooting build of the latest version of the iCamSource that creates a log file in the same folder as the program. The log file created is called "iCamSource_Debug_Log.txt"

If you could download the following executable to either the place where you installed the iCamSource (usually C:\Program Files\iCamSource) or just to your desktop then hopefully we can determine what is causing the crash: http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource1.4.2c.exe

If you close any other iCamSources, launch 1.4.2c, start it, and attempt to connect when your iPhone is connected via 3G then (hopefully) it will crash. When it does, if you could e-mail support@skjm.com the log file that is created then hopefully we can start to hone-in on where the cause of the problem is.

We want to fix any performance issues that we have with the new version so that we can move forward with the development of new features. Any help that you guys provide us is invaluable, so thanks! :)

captual

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 12:28:30 AM »
1.4.2 crashing on three Windows XP machines. Deleted 1.4.2 and installed 1.4.1....Fixed all ! ;D

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 03:22:20 AM »
Stefan, I spoke too soon concerning the 3g access. I installed icamsource 1.4.2 on another computer (3 total instances under my username/password)...tried to access it over 3g today and crashed 2 of the 3 instances (the ones carrying video). The blank video with audio only was still up, however I could not hear sound. Not sure if that was a fluke thing. Have you received any logs from anyone yet? If not, I'm willing to reinstall 1.4.2 (I just downgraded again) and send you the logs of the crash.

At one point, I manually restarted the instance of icamsource that kept crashing on Windows startup and it seemed to work ok. However, I think I only accessed it from my home network.