Author Topic: Icam Startup  (Read 6787 times)

Carp696

• View Profile
Icam Startup
« on: March 19, 2010, 11:30:03 AM »
I shut my laptop every time I leave. As soon as the babysitter gets here she opens it up and shuts down the cam because it shows that its running in the upper left hand corner.

Is there a way to have icam start when the laptop is opened but not actually open up the cam on the desktop?

Thanks

Ronnie

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Icam Startup
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 07:40:02 PM »
You allow the babysitter to use your computer? And you allow her to close a program that you want running? It would be easier to tell her not to tamper with any programs that you have running. Ideally, for virus/malware purposes, it would be really smart to not allow her to use the computer at all...especially under your user account, which I'm assuming has admin priveledges.

That aside, this information might help you (if you have a Windows PC). I'm not a Mac computer person, so I can't help you with a Mac.

Create an account on your computer for the babysitter (without admin priveledges) or enable the guest account (preferred and easier). When you step away from your laptop, hold down the Windows key on the keyboard and hit the L key. This will lock your screen, leaving your account signed in. Now the babysitter can login as a guest or under the account that you created for her. Since she is not an admin, she won't be able to close the icamsource program...at least not without rebooting the computer.

There are some programs out there that will allow you to run other programs in a hidden state (not show up in the system tray)...but I didn't see any free ones. There are ways to use some program scripts to hide icons on the system tray...but I think it just changes the icon to a blank image...meaning a user could still right-click on the blank area and shutdown icamsource. There is also a way to permanently change the task bar icon for the program, and you could rename the program itself to something like "audiomanager.exe"...just make sure you update any startup links to the new program name. Another thing to take into consideration...any user with appropriate permissions could use the task manager to kill icamsource.exe. The guest account should not be able to kill programs executed under another user, however.

Out of curiousity, are you using your laptop's webcam as the camera source? If you have an IP camera, you could run icamsource on any computer in the house with an Internet connection...it wouldn't need to be the laptop.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:42:26 PM »
Carp696 - When you say that the cam shows that it's running in the upper left hand corner, do you mean the webcam video is displayed in the corner or do you mean there is an icon in the Menubar (Mac) or System Tray (Windows)?

If the Auto-Start option is enabled, then the iCamSource Window will be hidden when iCamSource is launched.

Carp696

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 12:10:21 PM »
When the computer is opened there is a video running in the upper left hand corner!

viop-ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »
Ronnie, it's still not very clear from what you are saying what is going on.

Are you saying that when she opens the lid of the laptop that ICAMSOURCE starts up and the video from ICAMSOURCE is what's displayed on the desktop and that is what she's closing?

There might be a way to run icamsource in the background on the Mac, but I don't use icamsource on my Mac, so I'm not sure.

I would also caution you that secretly video taping your baby sitter without her permission is probably a recipe for trouble.

nunz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 08:00:48 PM »
(Moved to the Security & Privacy thread)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:05:26 PM by nunz »

Carp696

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 03:21:21 AM »
Icam opens up as soon as the laptop is opened. There is an actual video of what the laptop camera is seeing, in the upper left hand corner. It literally looks like someone is haveing a video chat and you can see yourself. Basically what I'm asking is, is there a way to have it run in the background and not display anything when the laptop is opened. I am running a VAIO with windows 7

I have consulted a lawyer prior to installing and monitoring software. I am covered.... And it's not just for the babysitter.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 06:10:21 AM »
Carp696 - This sounds like the Active Movie window issue: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=481

Is it an Active Movie Window?