Author Topic: I think iCamSource is causing my MacMini to slow down  (Read 3384 times)

digiTL

• View Profile
I think iCamSource is causing my MacMini to slow down
« on: January 20, 2009, 03:26:38 AM »
First I want to commend the developers on a very cool app. Everyone I show it to is amazed especially when I'm on a 3G or WiFi network. It really shines then. However it doesn't seem to be too reliable for me. I'm not 100% positive but after experimenting with various scenarios, it seems iCamSource is causing my MacMini to really come to a halt. And via inspecting the Activity Monitor on my Mac, it seems the culprit is a process called 'syslogd' that fluctuates between 90-100+% of the usage of the processor. And iCamSource is right behind it too in the upper 90% area for processor usage. I've seen how there are certain apps that can cause this 'syslogd' to create a huge temp file and cause the processor usage to skyrocket but this was supposed to be fixed in 10.5.4. I have to run the following commands in Terminal to alleviate the problem. I first terminate 'syslogd', then I have to remove the file it's created, then I restart 'syslogd'. I found this solution online somewhere. It does indeed speed up the machine from a snails pace. I suspect it may have something to do with the way my MacMini is scheduled to sleep and wake up. I want to always have iCamSource running but sometimes when my Mini goes to sleep, I suspect it could somehow freeze iCamSource in its tracks. Several times I'll check my 'doggie cam' on my iPhone but the image is from a frozen image from the day or night before. If anyone has any suggestions or idea, I'd love to hear them. Thanks! Otherwise, when this thing is working, it really is pretty handy.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I think iCamSource is causing my MacMini to slow down
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 05:38:32 AM »
digiTL - Are you running the latest version of the iCamSource, version 1.0.11?

digiTL

• View Profile
Re: I think iCamSource is causing my MacMini to slow down
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 03:04:14 AM »
Apparently I'm on v1.0.5 but I thought I was on the latest. I'll give this a shot. Thanks!