Author Topic: Another feature request  (Read 4177 times)

Zarkov

• View Profile
Another feature request
« on: November 16, 2009, 04:06:14 PM »
I'm aware from other posts that you will shortly have v1.3 out there and that it will enable recording on the computer.  I have a request that I acknowledge may be a low priority for you, but it would be "nice" someday.

Many people use iCam for home security.  In case of a break-in, one can find out about it in real time (or near-real-time here in the boonies without 3G).  But someone breaking into a house will go for the computer right after he goes for the jewelery and cash.  No computer, no recording for evidence.  At best you've taken a screen shot with your iPhone if you're fast.  Two solutions would be to duplicate the recording on the iPhone itself or (less desirably) enable automatic FTP of the recording every "N" seconds to a remote server.  But recording on the phone would be best.  After all, the data is already being forwarded to the phone anyway, right?  Why not record it there?

You really have a great product, and I will never forget the incredible support you gave me during setup.  Thanks!

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Another feature request
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:26:49 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. 

One issue is that the data actually isn't being forwarded to the phone at the time of the event (unless you are viewing it at the time).  The only time image data is sent to the phone is when you actually view it.  If you mean to save the image data onto the phone when you view it, that is technically possible.  You're right, it probably wouldn't be at the top of our list right away.  Like any other requested feature, it's priority would be determined by the amount of requests we're receiving for it and how difficult it would be to implement.

JazJon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:17:17 PM »
I too would like to see some type of redundent backup.  Maybe auto upload to Flickr, or other free hosting service?   Maybe auto email them?  FTP would work, but I'd have to find an off site FTP server to use then.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 12:38:07 AM »
JazJon - There are several tools that already exist to do what you're describing.  There is a tool called FlickrSync that you can use to automatically sync the motion event images to Flickr.  You can also accomplish something similar with an online backup service, such as Microsoft's LiveMesh, Apple's Me.com, Mozy.com, etc.  A lot of these services come with a few free gigs of storage, and you'd just need to configure the online backup service to back up the directory containing the motion event image data.

SCVThunder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:01:22 PM »
I also just installed and am using iCam primarily for home security. Easy set up and so far, I'm loving it! Worth every cent and I will be recommending it to many, many others.

I would second the ask to include a push of the images either to the iPhone itself or to a YouTube, Flickr account or the like in the event I am unable to screen grab or copy any motion events to my camera roll BEFORE they cut the power cord and rip off my computer. I may just setup a me.com account and go from there, but the option to push to an existing FTP location, image account, etc, would definitely be a bonus.

I'll be trying to get the FlickrSync working and will follow up if that is successful.

Regards,
SCVThunder

Zarkov

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 02:29:06 PM »
As I've mentioned earlier, this Dropbox approachhttp://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=615.0  is pretty neat for backups.  To do YouTube you'd first have to convert the MJPEGs to "real" video, rather then a series of stills (which is what iCam creates).