Author Topic: Will running iCam all day use up my download limit?  (Read 1844 times)

colinzz

• View Profile
Will running iCam all day use up my download limit?
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:54:19 PM »
Hi

I just purchased the iCam app and want to know whether running the application on my laptop all day every day will use up all of my download limit.

Thanks
Colin

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Will running iCam all day use up my download limit?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 03:26:31 AM »
Icamsource.exe running on your computer is constantly sending small packets of data to the broker server, and large amounts of data when iCam on your smart device is accessing camera feed(s)...but it's highly unlikely that your Internet provider bills you based on how much data is sent/received.

On the other hand, iCam (running on your smart device) will use significant data when viewing your camera(s). So you'll want your smart device to be connected to a wifi network as much as possible when you have the iCam app running.

colinzz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 03:32:34 AM »
Thanks very much - this was very helpful!

Finally, is there any danger in running my macbook air for such long periods of time?  I understand that it is usually good to switch the computer off and give it breaks from time to time.

Thanks
Colin

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 07:43:38 AM »
Just make sure that you have it sitting on a solid surface (like a desk, etc) so air can circulate properly through it and keep the processor "cool"...and occasionally blow out the exhaust port and fan port with a can of compressed air. Other than that, modern computers are made to tolerate staying on for long periods of times. I keep my PC desktop on 24/7, rebooting it only for the occasional OS update...it's probably 6 years old. As long as you keep it clean and allow air to circulate through it, you shouldn't have any hardware issues beyond what should be expected for a laptop that is moved around a decent amount. I always expect at least one piece of hardware on my laptops to fail at some point in 3 or 4 years...whether it be the power jack on the motherboard or hard drive or whatever.