Author Topic: 3G Connection Anomaly  (Read 2240 times)

jzmn27

• View Profile
3G Connection Anomaly
« on: February 16, 2012, 05:12:08 PM »
I have two separate installations of iCamSource.  Each has its own Mac mini running iCamSource, connecting via wireless network to a cable modem.  I can connect to one of them on my iPhone4S via 3G or when I'm connected to any Wi-Fi.  The other one I can only connect to when I'm connected to Wi-Fi. 

The only difference between the two setups is the are connected to different cable providers with a different level of service (one is 16Mb the other only 3Mb).

This has only become a problem in the past couple of weeks.

Any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: 3G Connection Anomaly
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:24:27 PM »
Could be a port forwarding issue with one of your routers. Do you have auto-configuration router enabled in icamsource on either (or both) computers? If so, do you have uPNP enabled on one router and not the other? If not, have you tried it with auto-config and uPNP enabled? Last resort...manual port forwarding.

jzmn27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:18:25 PM »
I could see port forwarding being a possible culprit if I couldn't connect to it at all.  Why would a port forwarding problem allow me to connect to it when my iPhone is connecting via Wi-Fi but not via 3G?

UPDATE:  I turned Auto-Config Router on and it's now working.  Thanks for the tip but here are my new questions:

I've never had Auto-Config Router turned on for that setup.  It worked fine up until about 2 weeks ago when the problem started.  Computers don't change behavior unless something changes.  What could have changed so that port forwarding was required?

Second question: why is port forwarding required to connect via 3G but not remote Wi-Fi?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:24:13 AM by jzmn27 »

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:56:39 PM »
That just means that the firewall piercing techniques used by iCam are working on one of the networks but not on the other. The firewall piercing techniques generally work on most networks, but they don't necessarily work on all of them.