Author Topic: Push / Email - Service  (Read 3134 times)

slink

• View Profile
Push / Email - Service
« on: July 10, 2009, 01:07:59 PM »
Not really sure I understand this since I didn't buy the application yet. $5 gets you the application to connect with your own webcam and see the video. I'm not sure how this is accomplished but I am assuming that your PC does the streaming and one needs to connect securely to the PC to see the video. Now what is the push service? If something moves, wouldn't the basic application just have an email setting to send out a notice via smtp? Not sure I understand as I read something about servers. Thanks.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Push / Email - Service
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 05:28:25 PM »
Yes, your PC does the streaming to the iPhone with a program called iCamSource.  You can try iCamSource for free to see if it works with your camera.  You can get iCamSource here: http://skjm.com/icam/support.php

Push Notification is an add-on that will be $0.99 when Apple approves it.  It will use the Apple Push Notification service to send instant notifications directly to your iPhone.  There's more info about Push Notifications here: http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/sdk/apns.html

slink

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 06:37:10 PM »
If this is an application on the PC, isn't it easier to just have a send email option in the application? I hate apple and I guess they are the hold up for this second program? I'm wondering, is that "service based" and a potential point of failure? No offense, just trying to figure out how the emailing works.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
No offense taken :)

This is exactly what Apple's Push Notification system is intended for.  I guess the question of whether emails or Push Notifications are better is a matter of opinion.  If you hate Apple, then you're probably not going to like the Push Notifications.;)   I don't think the Push Notification system is any more of a point of failure than email servers are. 

slink

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 08:29:59 AM »
No offense taken :)

This is exactly what Apple's Push Notification system is intended for.  I guess the question of whether emails or Push Notifications are better is a matter of opinion.  If you hate Apple, then you're probably not going to like the Push Notifications.;)   I don't think the Push Notification system is any more of a point of failure than email servers are. 
Thanks. The only point of failure is Apple since the only way I can get my iPhone 3GS to last through most of the day is to turn OFF push email - this advice comes from those arrogant fools in Cupertino!! ;)