Author Topic: Application Freezing  (Read 2878 times)

ox

• View Profile
Application Freezing
« on: May 27, 2009, 10:56:44 PM »
Hi There,

I’ve been using your application over the past six months without error. Recently I was lured to update with the promise of audio….ooooh!  I can finally hear the sounds my puppy was suspected of making.

I updated both my Iphone and Mac Mini. The mini is running 10.4.11 with a Logitech USB camera with built in microphone…. Not sure of the model but it’s the one with the Carl Zeiss lens with auto focus.

So after the update I’m experiencing random freezing of the application on the desktop. I can monitor puppy for an hour or two with audio then it just freezes. It doesn’t seem to make a difference if its over 3G or WIFI or on the Iphone or through the web service you offer.  Tonight I tried the beta and 1.2.3 and it gets even weirder with freezes for periods of time then it releases and runs again.

I should also mention that I have tried another USB microphone and no microphone and have had the same results. I’m mystified ....... Any Ideas?

Oh I have received the "Broker Connection Error" and "Source Connection Error" but the application continued to work after closing the error message window??

Thanks,
 OX

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Application Freezing
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 01:25:02 AM »
Regarding the freezing issue, do you see an error message on the computer?  If so, what does it say?

Do you see this freezing issue when you run the latest release version (version 1.1.4)? 

Do you remember what version of iCamSource you were running before (when it wasn't freezing)?

If the Broker Connection Error is intermittent, it indicates that your iPhone has a poor wireless data connection. 

If the Source Connection Error appears, but the webcam still works, that indicates that you've recently quit iCamSource and re-launched it quickly.  The original iCamSource takes a few seconds to time-out on the server, so there is a little window of time after you quit iCamSource and re-launch it that you might see that error even though the webcam is viewable on the iPhone.

ox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 06:36:59 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for following up so quickly. I am using 1.1.4 and have also tried the beta with the same results. What is happening is the image freezes and when I get home the application is still working but the image is frozen. I can't simply close the application, I usually need to force quite and relaunch it to get the image back up.

There is one change that I neglected, that is I have moved my computer across the room since updated the software so I have my camera plugged into a USB extension that is in turn plugged into a powered hub. Maybe it's the distance that might be causing the application to loose sync? Today it worked a couple hours, then the image froze but I still had audio, then the application shut it self down? That was with the beta.

Sorry but I cant recall my previous version only to say it was several months old and pre audio.

I will do a little testing with the cord and see if that is the cause.

Thanks Again,
OX 

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 11:43:45 PM »
Yes, that could definitely explain the problem.  We have heard reports from a few users about webcam stability problems when the webcam is plugged into a USB hub or extension.

ox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 10:06:07 PM »
Sure Enough...... I tracked it down to the hub/extension combo. With the camera plugged directly into my computer the program is very stable but with the hub/extension setup it seems to loose sync. I will play around with my options to see what will work for me.

Thanks so much for your quick responses.... It shows you really support your product! A rare thing these days and highly appreciated.

OX

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 12:44:07 AM »
Thanks, I'm glad you've narrowed down the cause of the problem.  I know other people have used hubs and extension cables without problems, so it could be an issue with the cable itself or loose connectors.