Author Topic: Great app! Now some feedback  (Read 2943 times)

schmke

• View Profile
Great app! Now some feedback
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:01:57 AM »
I found this app a little over a week ago when searching for a way to stream video and specifically get streaming video from my web cams at home.  I picked this one from a variety of them, in part because it has a web viewer as well as the iPhone viewer, I found and have been generally pleased with it.  I do have some observations and feedback that might help improve the app in the future.

First, the ability to show the thumbnails of 4 cameras is great, except that my multiple cameras aren't all on the same machine.  This means that to switch I have to go to the settings and manually change the username and password which gets a little cumbersome.  Ideally, there would be a way to have cameras from different machines show up in the 4 thumbnail view.  Is this possible?  Short of that, it would be nice to be able to register sources and switch between them more easily rather than having to re-fill in all the info.

Second, I've generally been pleased that the source app uses a reasonably low amount of CPU.  However, on occasion the app does peg the CPU even when no viewers are connected.  I haven't narrowed down the exact scenario where this happens, but it has happened on both the Mac and Windows source apps.

Last, a week ago I had three machines running the source app on my home network and was able to connect to each both from on the network and remotely over 3G/EDGE, but the past few days it has been far less reliable.  Yesterday evening none would work, local network or 3G/EDGE, Mac or Windows, and this morning only the Mac would work (and it is working now), but now both are working.  The error I'd get on the iPhone was either "Source Connection Error: One or more of the iCamSources returned by the iCam Broker Server could not be connected to" or "No Sources Found: There are currently no running iCamSources associated with your existing login and password".  The machines and my network setup are unchanged so what might cause this differing behavior?

Thanks again for a great app.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Great app! Now some feedback
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 04:00:40 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  You have a lot of points, I'll try to address them all :)

1. You can display cams from multiple computers by using the same login and password on all the iCamSources (up to 4).

2.  If you can give more info on when you see the CPU spike, we can look into possible causes.  iCamSource does extra processing  when it starts up, when the user pushes the the start button, and when the iPhone connects to the iCamSource.   The rest of the time the CPU load should be relatively low.

3.  The "No Sources" error indicates that your login or password on your iPhone doesn't exactly match the login / password on the iCamSource.

4.  The "Source Connection Error" could indicate a problem with router configuration or firewall software on your computer.  If you continue to see this error, please email support@skjm.com and refer to this thread, and we can help you track down the cause of the problem.

schmke

• View Profile
Re: Great app! Now some feedback
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:30:11 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, #1 works great.  I must have just missed it in the instructions.

I haven't seen the CPU spike again but will monitor.

The inability to connect has gone away so everything is ok now.

Thanks for the kind words.  You have a lot of points, I'll try to address them all :)

1. You can display cams from multiple computers by using the same login and password on all the iCamSources (up to 4).

2.  If you can give more info on when you see the CPU spike, we can look into possible causes.  iCamSource does extra processing  when it starts up, when the user pushes the the start button, and when the iPhone connects to the iCamSource.   The rest of the time the CPU load should be relatively low.

3.  The "No Sources" error indicates that your login or password on your iPhone doesn't exactly match the login / password on the iCamSource.

4.  The "Source Connection Error" could indicate a problem with router configuration or firewall software on your computer.  If you continue to see this error, please email support@skjm.com and refer to this thread, and we can help you track down the cause of the problem.