Author Topic: Edimax IC-1510Wg works OK with iCam  (Read 5116 times)

GaryW

• View Profile
Edimax IC-1510Wg works OK with iCam
« on: November 21, 2010, 06:57:41 AM »
I picked up an Edimax IC-1510Wg WiFi IP cam at Maplin here in the UK yesterday.  It was really easy to set up and it works a treat with iCam.  I did have a minor snag in that I couldn't actually view the camera video directly using IE or Firefox, but I could see it in the iCam preferences window and in the Edimax viewer program (an ActiveX issue I believe).  My setup now consists of an eeePC 901 on my WiFi network with 2 USB webcams, and the Edimax IC-1510Wg.

The Edimax camera replaces an old Hawking HNC290G that had a mind of its own and would constantly crash - not at iCam problem, it used to lock up using the Hawking monitoring software!  The Edimax was GBP79, but I've seen it a little cheaper on Ebay so I might get another one to provide more coverage.  The Edimax also works with other monitoring software such as the iPhone Cam Viewer.  I'd love to be able to use it with iSpy, but there isn't any way to add your own cameras.

I'm fairly certain that the network cabled version (IC-1510) would work OK with iCam too, as it looks to be identical minus the WiFi option.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Edimax IC-1510Wg works OK with iCam
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 10:45:55 AM »
Thanks for the info! :)

GaryW

• View Profile
Re: Edimax IC-1510Wg works OK with iCam
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 01:17:20 PM »
My pleasure Stefan - just loving iCam  ;D

I thought that I could see the Edimax from outside my Network - that is over the Internet - but that wasn't the case.  Spent a day chasing definitions of the various IP types to try to access the cam, and finally realised that I needed to set up the Edimax Gateway IP address to the IP address on my Belkin router.  It seem blindingly obvious now, but it was all a bit confusing for a while  ???

I'm sure that this is fairly basic stuff for many people, but here is a summary of what I now understand:

Belkin Router

WAN IP: xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.62 - This is the public IP address that I need to use to view the IP camera via the Internet
IP: xxxx.xxxx.2.1 - This is the address I use to access the router from within my Network
Default Gateway: xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx - this is my ISP provided address, set automatically by the router
DNS Address: xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx - again, set automatically by the router as far as I can make out

Edimax Camera

IP: xxx.xxx.2.13 - set manually by me as a static IP address using the Edimax setup utility via IE
Gateway: xxxx.xxxx.2.1 - THIS IS WHERE I WAS HAVING PROBLEMS - now set to the router IP address above xxxx.xxxx.2.1
Primary DNS: xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx - I'm not using this as far as I'm aware, as I'm just using the numerical IP address to access the camera

So, in summary, I now understand that I have to tell the camera to look at the router and then when I use the WAN IP address from outside my Network, it all works like a charm.  Sorry if this is old news to many of you, but it might help somebody out there.  I've been using LogMeIn free to access my iCam netbook.  This allows me to remotely access the router and the cam setup utilities via IE just as if I was sitting in front of the Netbook - brilliant  :)

Can't believe what that cat is up to while I'm away  :o