Author Topic: video gaps  (Read 5831 times)

rochus

• View Profile
Re: video gaps
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 04:52:24 AM »
The two things that can effect the framerate are the CPU speed of the computer running iCamSource and the bandwidth available to the computer and the iPhone/iPod.  If iCamSource is using a lot of CPU % on your computer (>50%), the processing might be causing a slowdown.

Does the video appear slow in iCamSource on the computer as well?  The framerate in iCamSource is determined by the camera.

The video will always be slower on the iPhone than on the computer due to bandwidth limitations.

On local Wi-Fi, you should see a few frames per second.
On a remote Wi-Fi hot spot, you should see about a frame per second.
On 3G, Apple requires us to keep the framerate less than 1 frame every 2 seconds.  If it's a poor 3G connection, it may be slower.
On EDGE, you'll probably see about one frame every 5 seconds or so, or as low as 1 frame every 10 seconds if you have a poor EDGE signal.

If the framerate you're seeing is significantly lower than that, please let me know what framerate you are seeing and what connection type you're using.

I am from Germany, Berlin and find iCam a great product. But I have a recommendation for the next release of iCamSource:
please include a compression like H.263 or similar to reduce the bandwidth of the data stream to my iphone from now round about 1 Mbit/s to 60-80 kbit/s. If my iPhone is in the WLAN, than you have not to use a compression; only if the data stream will go upstream some where in the internet. In Germany we have generally low bandwidth upstream in the internet ( 250-800 Kbit/s ). Thanks a lot!

best regards
Rochus