Author Topic: D-Link DCS-920 OSX Config???  (Read 20049 times)

valiums

• View Profile
D-Link DCS-920 OSX Config???
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:37:25 PM »
Hi,

I just bought a D-Link DCS-920 wireless cam to use w/ iCam and I'm having trouble setting it up with OS X. If anybody can help I'd appreciate it! D-Link is clueless!

Thanks,

Jason

slappywhite

• View Profile
Re: D-Link DCS-920 OSX Config???
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:21:36 PM »
How far have you made it in the setup? These IP cams are configurable through any web browser, however, the initial setup (IP lookup) is done with a PC and some crappy proprietary software. According to the D-Link manual this camera will request a DHCP IP address (WIRED on Ethernet), so you can either guess the IP or check your router's DHCP lease table to find it's address. It will not join a wireless network on it's own. Hope this advice gets you a bit further in your setup.

valiums

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:09:07 PM »
Hi Slappy,

I haven't gotten very far at all. D-Link is saying the IP addy for the cam is 192.168.0.20 we were able to access the settings page once but then nada! Now they're saying nobody can help me until Monday. HELP!

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:19:09 PM »
I don't know anything in particular about configuring a D-Link camera.  Other iCam users, such as slappywhite, might be able to help you. You also might be able to get help on the D-Link IP camera forums here: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?board=154.0

slappywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:02:25 PM »
I had one that had that IP as well, a DCS-900. I had to modify my router to allow 192.168.0.x instead of my usual 192.168.1.x, but after I set it's static IP I changed back to my regular router config all was good. I can suggest this - reset it. I remember the reset button is on the right side while the cam is pointed at you. Hold it for a few seconds and then see if it resets to that IP. Otherwise, you'll need to either guess the IP or check your DHCP log. Does any of this help?

Hi Slappy,

I haven't gotten very far at all. D-Link is saying the IP addy for the cam is 192.168.0.20 we were able to access the settings page once but then nada! Now they're saying nobody can help me until Monday. HELP!

valiums

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:29:29 PM »
Now I have the camera connected to my router (airport extreme) and I'm able to access the setup page. I just can't access it via wi-fi for some reason. The D-Link tech said it has to do w/ tksk security????

ArkBark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 09:58:13 PM »
First you need to access your Router, if you have a dlink version or another manufacturer go to the Network setup to add this DCS-920 like adding a laptop or desktop.  Once that is done goto the Advance then the Virtual Server.  From there add this DCS-920 to one of the openings.  Add the name of this DCS-920 and add the ip address that you or the router assigned it to and then make sure you add the port number that you inputted in the setup in the DCS-920 program through the settings.  Select the "Traffic Type" "Protocol" as Both then save and reboot the router.  When you launch your internet explorer type your ip address that was assigned to you by your internet provider.  Check that in your router Status page, the ip address should be there.  It should like this: http://237.32.234.1:81 <-- this is the port number that you added in the setup and in you router.  This should work for you.

valiums

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 10:08:43 PM »
Thanks, somehow I just got it working. Now it isn't working with iCam.

ArkBark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 10:12:51 PM »

valiums

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 10:17:13 PM »
Thanks Ark! I tried all of those URL's it's still not working.

For Webcam Login do I just leave that blank?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
valiums - If you use a login and password to view the webcam in the viewer or the web browser, then enter them.  Otherwise, you don't need it.

For the D-Link DCS-920 network cam, I searched for that model in particular, and found that people are using the following URLs:

* MJPEG URL: http://my.camera.ip.address/video.cgi?showlength=1
   * JPEG URL: http://my.camera.ip.address/image.jpg

Make sure you have the "http://" in the URL and that you replace "my.camera.ip.address" with your camera's IP address (and port, if it's not port 80). 

If those don't work, please email a screenshot of your iCamSource window to support@skjm.com so we can verify your settings.  Please refer to this forum thread in your email.

isbent

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 09:22:24 PM »
Hi,

I just bought a D-Link DCS-920 wireless cam to use w/ iCam and I'm having trouble setting it up with OS X. If anybody can help I'd appreciate it! D-Link is clueless!

Thanks,

Jason

Hi, I just picked a DCS-920 up twenty minutes ago and stumbled onto this forum realizing the software provide will not function on OSX. My router is at home, and I need to get this thing online.

Here's what I did;

Once the camera is assembled, hook the ethernet cable between the apple (a mbp) in my case.
Manually set your ip address for the ethernet to be in the same ip range. So:

Configure : Manually
IP address: 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0

I had to run a netstat and compare physical addresses to find out the cameras IP address is 192.168.0.20.

plug 192.168.0.20 into you favourite web browser, and the rest is bacon.

A quick side note, I've noticed a few complaints about the picture quality of this camera. The lens can actually be focused and is free floating (like a monocular). I was a little bit pissed at first, played with the lens and the picture is now very crisp, I can make out the street signs across the way. =)

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 05:53:47 AM »
Just wanted to verify Jay's post for the DCS-910 and DCS-920 source link as http://cameraIPaddress/video.cgi for mjpeg...and you have to type in the username/password for the camera in order for the feed to work. Also, isbent's advice is good...make sure you focus the camera by turning the lens. Resolution is pretty good...this camera is does a good job for a pretty low price.