Author Topic: Question Regarding Night Vision Camera  (Read 4766 times)

Methos

• View Profile
Question Regarding Night Vision Camera
« on: November 21, 2011, 03:16:35 PM »
We're installing a webcam over the crib, but my wife wants a camera that has night vision, or the capability to see our baby at night. Does anyone know of, or use, a camera that works with this software that you would recommend? Thanks!

rjgvt

• View Profile
Re: Question Regarding Night Vision Camera
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:22:44 PM »

Methos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »
Have you read this yet?

http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=908.0

Yes, but they require Windows for the initial installation. I don't have Windows.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:18:13 AM »
Although the Airlink cameras are market specifically for Windows PCs they can still be setup with a Mac although it is a little more complicated. Please see this forum post for further instructions: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=1036.0

stbiss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 10:38:27 AM »
Are you after a wireless or wired camera? I just bought a D-Link DCS-932L night vision wireless camera that I am using with my iMac and icam software. It seems to be working well so far - I am thankful someone posted instructions on 'net for using with Mac, otherwise it would have been more difficult setting up. If you are interested in setup, I can post instructions.

erectorset

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 12:01:25 AM »
I, too, am looking for a good wireless cam with IR night vision, but I'm looking for one that doesn't glow red and can't been seen at night. Any thoughts? (One that works well with a Mac and is less than $100 is ideal.)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 09:46:52 AM »
I, too, am looking for a good wireless cam with IR night vision, but I'm looking for one that doesn't glow red and can't been seen at night. Any thoughts? (One that works well with a Mac and is less than $100 is ideal.)

Unfortunately the only IP camera that we have tested whose IR LEDs don't glow red is the AirLink101 SkyIPCam747W.

Skyking

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »
I have an array of ten various manufacturers wireless cameras that have night vision and as Stefan indicated only the AirLink 777 and 747 LED's don't glow pretty brightly.  You will have lots more options for night vision capable cameras when you get away from wireless, but they also usually don't have web servers built into them as they are commercial grade and intended to be used with a security DVR complicating your job.

IR illuminators widely used in the civilian sector typically operate in the 850-880nm range or 940nm.  The ones that are almost invisible are in the 940nm spectrum.  If you simply must not have a glow, you will have to order a camera that does not have built in IR illuminators or following the details above get one that uses 940nm illuminators.  If you get one that has built in IR illuminators you will want to ensure they can be turned on and off somehow.  The AirLink cameras mentioned above allow you to turn them off in their firmware, buy not all night vision cameras give you the option.  Then you will want to order a 940nm illuminator and see if that combination of camera and external illuminator works and suits you.  All I know of are 12v so you will need to find one that either has a transformer that comes with it, or get the correct transformer from a retail source and attach it to the illuminator so you can plug it into an AC outlet.

Personally, for viewing a child's crib this seems like a lot of work.  If you are looking for covert security camera capability with IR illumination as an option, that is beyond the scope of my reply.

Regards,

Phil

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
Skyking,

How do I turn off the IR on an Airlink 747W? I don't see that option in the web interface.

erectorset

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »
And if you turn off the IR on the Airlink, doesn't it stop recording in the dark? And it looks like the 747 has been discontinued.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
I have an AICN747W and use it for night vision indoors. I just ordered an Airlink AICN1747W to also use indoors. I didn't see in the set up for the AICN747W how to turn off the IR, so I bought an AIC1620W to point outdoors since there is no IR to reflect off of the window. Pan/tilt without IR would be nice. Also ordered another 1620W. I have Airlink IP and Logitech Pro 9000 cams running at home and at a remote location. I'm hooked on Icamsource/Icam. There may be better IP cams out there, but I like the SkyIPCam app on my Android phone for Airlink cams.