Author Topic: Photos not stored?  (Read 6588 times)

Joelaw

• View Profile
Photos not stored?
« on: June 04, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »
I am using 2 dlink DCS930l,  1 Foscam 8919 and 1 Cisco camera.  All work online and picture is ok.  When I try to detect motion and save photos only the dlink cameras work.  The other two will send alarms but not save photos?

Thanks,

Joe L

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Photos not stored?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 01:49:07 PM »
Did you enable "record motion events" for each camera? You can verify by checking in iCam by zooming in on each camera, tapping once to see the menu, then you should see "record motion events" set to "on." If it's enabled for each camera, try disabling and re-enabling that setting to see if it starts working. If it still doesn't work, you can try removing the icamsource settings and starting fresh. If it comes to that, post back if you're using a Mac or Windows, as the directions to clear the icamsource settings are different for each operating system.

Joelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 03:00:25 PM »
I have enabeled and dis-abeled the "record motion" many times.  Uninstalled icam source, set up each camera again and used both windows 7 and a MAC.  Nothing will make them record although no problem with the DLINK cameras.

I am pretty shure that I have done everything right but don't remember the differences between windows and MAC.

I have had this setup installed o er a year and this is the first I have tried using the record on these two cameras.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:29:33 PM »
Do you have 2 of the cameras added as iCam sources on a Windows machine, and the other 2 cameras added as sources on a Mac machine? If so, maybe it's an issue specific to one of the machines? For example, file write permissions could be absent for some reason.

To clear the icamsource settings on Windows: http://skjm.com/icam/CleaniCamKey.reg

To clear the settings on a Mac, follow the directions here to delete the plist file: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=582.msg12900#msg12900

Once you clear the settings, you'll have to re-add all of the cameras/settings as if you were starting from scratch. Post back if this doesn't work....

Joelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
I have all cameras on a MAC right now.  I originally setup on a windows machine.

I will try your suggestions and post back.

Thanks

Joelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »
OUAnthony, thank you very much.  I did not delete the plist file before and now after setting everything up again, IT WORKS!

I am trying to find out what critter is eating my peanut butter bait inside a trap I have set for Racoons on my back deck.  It disapears every night but nothing in the trap, so I wanted to set motion and photo ON to find out who or what is eating without triggering.

Racoons are big enough that they cannot get in without triggering the trap but something small is eating their fill every night?

I do catch and release but still curious.

Thanks again.

Joe L.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 12:35:54 PM »
Mice. Put a mouse trap inside of the bigger trap.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 01:29:17 PM »
LOL @ rjgvt! And Joelaw, I've heard of catch and release fishing...but not catch and release raccooning....at least not for fun. I'm guessing you relocate them?

Joelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 05:09:20 PM »
Yes, I paint their number on their back and take them to a river a couple miles away.  I have caputered 17 this year so far so the next one will be number 18.

They tear up my bird feeders, get into the metal buckets of seed, crap all over the deck and break pots etc. in the area.  Together with the squirrels they do a lot of damage.

Been working on the squirrels for a long time but they are smarter than I am.  That could be a new TV show, 'Are you smarter than an average squirrel'?

I have trapped a few suirrels but not very often.  I cannot bring myself to killing them so I release them away from home.  I have been told that raccoons dont travel more than a short way from their territory and have never had a painted one come back (at least not with markings on them).

I used to have a dog that caught them and kept them away but he died several years ago and I have not replaced him yet.

Joe L.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 06:25:04 PM »
Joelaw,

Not sure where you live, but here in VT, I do things a little different. Gray and Red Squirrels are taken out with a pellet gun in the back yard and composted. If the red squirrels get in my garage, then I use the big rat traps, like a big mouse trap. Raccoons and other animals of that size get a .22. If you got caught painting animals here, you would get an animal cruelty charge. Ok to kill, not ok to paint! Skunks are caught in the raccoon trap then put in a big garbage can and filled with water with the lid on. I don't mess with live skunks!!

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 06:57:54 PM »
Skunks are caught in the raccoon trap then put in a big garbage can and filled with water with the lid on. I don't mess with live skunks!!

I'm trying to get a visual of this. lol Also, I can't believe you compost your squirrels. We eat 'em down in Texas.

Joelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 09:06:07 PM »
 Well I do only paint a small strip down their back but not too much.  I have thought about a pellet gun for the squirrels since a BB gun doesnt scare them any more but that would kill them.

Pellet gun probably wouldnt hurt a raccoon much and I dont have anything else but a 20ga shotgun.  My wife would go bonkers if I shot them.  In Maryland it is illegal to shoot without a liscense and then only during hunting season.

Last year I rigged up a 110 volt system to the feeder with a 10K resistor in series so they only got a shock when climbing up to the top or reaching out and touching the feeder.  I placed an aluminum pan (the kind you buy for under hot water heaters) under the feeder and clipped the wires between the pan and the feeder.  They had to get in the pan and reach up to the feeder and when they touched it they became flying squirrels quickly.

They learned ways to get around the pan and still get the seed so I gave up.  Only saw one get shocked and it was worth all the trouble.

10:30 pm EDT and I have already found my peanut butter bait missing.  I looked at the photos taken IT WORKS!!!!!  I got 35 frames of a large Raccoon stradling the trigger and reaching over to get the bait without getting caught.  Smart buggers.

I would post the video if someone tells me how to make into a movie and post?

Now I know what is taking the bait without triggering the trap!

Work on a better technique to bait the trap tomorrow.

Joe L

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »
In Windows 7, try VirtualDub to convert the images to a movie. I'd love to see it! I'd also like to see the raccoon converted to flying squirrel....if only there was video of that. I grabbed a live 110V once, and I turned into a flying squirrel. I wish I had video of that, too. :)

Joelaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 03:52:24 PM »
Des anybody know how to post a video on this forum?  I have the Raccoon Thief video.

Joe l.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 06:38:22 PM »
It'll probably be easiest to upload the video to YouTube and post a link to it. Or, if you use DropBox to backup your motion events from icamsource, you can upload the video to your public folder and post a link to the file.