Author Topic: HD webcam quality  (Read 2388 times)

Powerguru

• View Profile
HD webcam quality
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:15:45 PM »
If I buy a HD webcam, will the quality of the feed will improve ? Rightnow I have 1.3 mp camera but the transmitted picture is not crystal clear on the iPhone
Secondly, say the picture quality improves with the HD webcam, will the transmission to the iPhone get affected ? Espeacially on 3G and edge, since more data feeds to the iphone.

Please suggesrst. 

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: HD webcam quality
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:25:35 AM »
Currently, upgrading would be pointless. Your computer would have to work harder to process the bigger pictures down to the same size that's already being sent to your phone. In other words, you can't get higher-res images on your phone via iCam. Besides, if iCam did allow higher-res image, your framerate on 3gs would be really slow. Part of the limitations in place by iCam are due to Apple/AT&T.

If your picture isn't clear, it's probably because your camera isn't focused. If there's a piece around the lens that you can twist, twist it while viewing the video until the image is focused. You might also access the camera settings and limit the camera to sending the iCam native resolution (640 x 480 I think). This would reduce processing by icamsource and might improve your image quality a little bit...since processing sometimes results in artifacts, etc.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: HD webcam quality
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 11:26:36 AM »
OUAnthony is correct: Increase the size and quality of the image and the frame rate will plummet, especially over 3G / EDGE.

The 2.0 BETA version of the iCamSource does include a slider to adjust image compression levels, allowing you to favor either clearer images or faster frame rates: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=958.0