Author Topic: Help with batch files and auto start  (Read 10235 times)

Spinerep622

• View Profile
Help with batch files and auto start
« on: May 01, 2010, 02:34:17 PM »
Ok, i have read this thread http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=416.30 over and over and I'm still not sure how write the batch files to auto start the cams. Where exactly is the download .bat file found? I'm running Vista 32 bit, I have a USB cam and a IP Cam. I have them both up and running but have to switch between the two to view them. I would like for both of them to start when Icam source starts. This is the URL of my Ip cam that I'm using http://192.168.0.xxx:81/videostream.cgi

Also, why is the image so bad on the iPhone? (see image below) The images on my laptop are crystal clear in both Icam source and via web browser, as well the images on the Iphone via web browser.

Spinerep622

• View Profile
Re: Help with batch files and auto start
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 03:05:23 PM »
I right clicked on the .bat file saved it to my desktop, right clicked on it and this is what I come up with

C:

cd "C:\Program Files\iCamSource"

start iCamSource.exe -url=http://192.168.0.126:81/videostream.cgi -cu=<USER> -cp=<PASS> -desc="Outside"

start iCamSource.exe -v=0 -a=0 -desc="Laptop"

When I double click it, it just opens the file up, in notepad. What am I doing wrong?? Also, what do I put in the <PASS> field if my cam does not use a password?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 05:06:10 PM »
How are the images saved as Motion Events? They should look as good as what you see in the iCamSource when viewed on your computer. The images are compressed when sent to iCam so that they can be sent faster over the network. Low-light images are notorious for looking worse when compressed than standardly-lit images. Are you seeing that image on an iPhone? Or an iPad?

If you have no password for your webcam, just leave it blank: ... -cu=<USER> -cp= -desc="Outside"

If, when you double-click the bat file it opens in notepad you either have .bat files associated with notepad in your computer, or there is a .txt attached to the end of the .bat file.

Spinerep622

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 05:16:19 PM »
That was an image from my iPhone. And the images that are saved look the same. I have messed with my cam settings and they look alittle bit better, but not great.

How do I change the .txt to .bat? I right clicked and tried to rename it, but it just comes out .bat.txt

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 06:11:39 PM »
From http://www.thesitewizard.com/faqs/save-without-txt-extension-notepad.shtml ...

Open Windows Explorer (also known as "My Computer" or "Computer" on the Windows desktop and the Start Menu). Navigate to the place you saved the file. Click the "Tools" menu on the menu bar in Explorer (the menu bar is at the top of the Explorer window, underneath the window title). Click the "Folder Options" item in the popup menu that appears. A dialog box appears. Click the "View" tab at the top of the window. Look for a setting "Hide file extensions for known file types" and uncheck the box beside it to disable it. If you want to always see the file extension in all folders, click the button "Apply to All Folders" (otherwise don't). Then click "Apply" and then "OK".

You should now be able to see your file as its true name, be it "blahblahblah.php.txt" or "blahblahblah.html.txt" or whatever. Now click once on the filename. Explorer will now allow you to change the filename. If this is not true, select the filename and hit the F2 key on the keyboard. Delete the ".txt" extension, leaving the filename as "blahblahblah.php" (without the quotes) or "blahblahblah.html". Make sure there are no trailing dots or spaces - that is, make sure the filename is really "blahblahblah.php" and not "blahblahblah.php." with a trailing dot or the like.

When you hit the ENTER key, Windows will issue a warning about the dangers of changing filenames. Allow the name change to take place.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 06:42:49 PM »
There might be an easier way to save it as a .bat file instead of a .txt file. Open the file that contains your intended bat instructions (should open in Notepad per your previous experience).

Click File > Save As > change "Save as type" from "Text Documents" to "All Files" > in the filename box type filename.bat > click Save

But, it is nice to always be able to change your file extensions easily if needed...so Stefan's directions are great if you know what file extensions are, etc. If you're not much of a computer nerd, you might not want to mess with it.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 06:48:30 PM »
 :)

Spinerep622

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 10:05:13 PM »
OK, I got the .txt changed to .bat, thanks for the help Stefan. Does my path for my IPcam look right? It's not starting with the usb cam.

Spinerep622

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:45:25 PM »
Now, I click on the batch file and it works, but when i restart my pc i get 3 instances of Icam source running then it crashes and gives me an error pop up. In my start up folder I have 2 instances of Icam source and the batch file. Should I only have the batch or the batch file and one instance?

bfineman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 10:06:55 AM »
You should only load the batch file on startup. The batch file will launch the iCam instances. I could see how also including the iCam application to launch on startup could cause conflicts.

Good luck!

Spinerep622

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 11:21:50 AM »
Well, now I have one instance of Icam source and the batch file in the start up folder and it seems to be working like it should.

Spinerep622

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 07:50:34 PM »
Stephan,

I now have a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.6.7

How do I run a batch file on OS X? I extremely new at this whole Mac thing so please help. Is it possible to use the same batch file stated above? If so, how and where do I put the file?

Thanks,
Russ

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »
If you want to auto-start iCamSource on a Mac, you just need to go to System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items and add iCamSource to the list. You will also need to enable the Auto-Start option in iCamSource.