Author Topic: Beta 2.3.1 hangs  (Read 13009 times)

stevensjj

• View Profile
Beta 2.3.1 hangs
« on: July 29, 2011, 09:41:38 AM »
Hi,
  First -  I love your app. 

I had a previous non-beta version install with zero issues.  I upgraded to the beta version to get the "motion zones" feature and now about every 2 days I have to completely "exit" the software on my PC and restart it to get it to connect to the cameras.  Stopping and starting using the button does not clear the problem.   When it hangs, the app is still running, but there are no camera images, just blank pages. The image displayed on my iphone will be whatever the last image was when it hung.

I am running 2 instances of the app (1 at home, 1 at a remote site).  Windows XP at home, Windows 7 at remote site. 5 cameras at home, 3 at remote.  All cameras are either D-Link 920 or 932L.  Both sites have developed the same problem after installing 2.3.1.  Both worked 100% under the previous version.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Beta 2.3.1 hangs
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 11:03:28 PM »
Does the problem occur if there's only one camera running in iCamSource? Also, does the problem occur if motion detection is disabled?

stevensjj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 02:06:08 PM »
Does the problem occur if there's only one camera running in iCamSource? Also, does the problem occur if motion detection is disabled?

I'll give that a try and report back.

object52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »
I have been experiencing this problem as well when I switched over to the beta version 2.3.1. When I access the icam from my iphone the Icam source crashes. It would sometimes crash by itself as well.  I have tried disabling motion detection, switching from wifi to 3g, de-fragmenting my computer, boosting my cpu, I had purchased more ram, I tried uninstalling the version and then reinstalling it (I even tried to install an earlier version which it wouldn't downgrade)   ....and so on.....  No matter what I do I dont see stability in this version. I understand that this is "Beta" which is why I tried to downgrade. Will there be a resolve to this madness soon?

I have 8 cameras attached to this source and my cpu hovers around 40-50...maybe at times hit the low 60's. I dont believe that cpu is a problem, however I think you can defiantly improve on this.

Thanks please respond

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 11:15:36 AM »
I have been experiencing this problem as well when I switched over to the beta version 2.3.1. When I access the icam from my iphone the Icam source crashes. It would sometimes crash by itself as well.  I have tried disabling motion detection, switching from wifi to 3g, de-fragmenting my computer, boosting my cpu, I had purchased more ram, I tried uninstalling the version and then reinstalling it (I even tried to install an earlier version which it wouldn't downgrade)   ....and so on.....  No matter what I do I dont see stability in this version. I understand that this is "Beta" which is why I tried to downgrade. Will there be a resolve to this madness soon?

I have 8 cameras attached to this source and my cpu hovers around 40-50...maybe at times hit the low 60's. I dont believe that cpu is a problem, however I think you can defiantly improve on this.

Thanks please respond

Try reducing the frequency of motion detection or even disabling it completely to see if that improves stability. You can also start with 1 camera, then keep adding until problems occur.

object52

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »
I have done all of those things at this point i believe its your software.... Is there a way I can downgrade if so how? When I uninstall the beta version and try to reinstall a previous version, it installs the "Beta" Version instead of the previous version.  ???

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »
Close the iCamSource application and then deleting your com.skjm.icamsource.plist file in your Library/Preferences folder in your home folder. Then, when you re-install the iCamSource the previous version of iCamSource, you will be starting with a fresh set of preferences, and hopefully things will act as expected.

You can download the previous version (2.2.3) here: http://skjm.com/icam/support.php

object52

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 08:52:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply... After looking at other forms I realize that I am not the only one having this issue. Is this a problem that you are aware of? When I connect via my iphone, The icam source crashes on the computer. This is for v.2.3.1beta for windows. I tried to delete the icam folder and then uninstalling the program so that I could start over fresh, but this still didnt work. I couldnt find the com.skjm.icamsource.plist... I am using Windows 7 OS and I could not find the library/ preference folder. I deleted the Icam files in the program folder, and then installed the icam v.2.2.3. I was having problems with this previous version connecting ....the status just was stuck on the word "Connecting". I dont have my firewall on and im still having an issue. With the beta version I can see my cameras and it connects, but after a while it will crash...or if i try to connect via icam app it will crash the source. Will this get fixed soon?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply... After looking at other forms I realize that I am not the only one having this issue. Is this a problem that you are aware of? When I connect via my iphone, The icam source crashes on the computer. This is for v.2.3.1beta for windows. I tried to delete the icam folder and then uninstalling the program so that I could start over fresh, but this still didnt work. I couldnt find the com.skjm.icamsource.plist... I am using Windows 7 OS and I could not find the library/ preference folder. I deleted the Icam files in the program folder, and then installed the icam v.2.2.3. I was having problems with this previous version connecting ....the status just was stuck on the word "Connecting". I dont have my firewall on and im still having an issue. With the beta version I can see my cameras and it connects, but after a while it will crash...or if i try to connect via icam app it will crash the source. Will this get fixed soon?

To clear preferences in Windows please download and run (double-click) this file: http://skjm.com/icam/CleaniCamKey.reg

That will erase the current iCamSource settings in your registry. You will need to re-enter all of your settings, but hopefully the problem will be resolved if it's due to a problem in the registry.

object52

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »
First off thanks for the response. I did exactly what I needed to do to reload this program, and everything seemed to work perfectly for about a week.....Then Im right back where I started. I dont want to download and run the previous version because I will loose out on having "detection/ motion zones". This issue seems to be a short memory loss causing over time for the program to run slow and crash unexpectedly.  Will this crashing issue get fixed soon? I know Im not the only one dealing with this issue. Please stabilize this version and get it out of beta..  >:(

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 10:02:27 PM »
Have you tried running just 1 camera? You can then keep adding until problems begin to occur.

object52

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 07:15:05 AM »
Again this has nothing to do with how many cameras  I have running. This seems to be an issue with the program. Icam can be running non stop with no issues on my desktop, but as soon as I open the app on my iphone it causes the program to crash. It doesnt have anything to do with internal memory being bogged down. I opened up utility's on my computer and The memory is fine. You should be able to connect up to a total of 12 ip cameras according to your site.  I have a super fast computer and Im only viewing 8 camera. Please fix this issue. Get a stable version of this program.  I have tried with one camera and the same issue. I have read of others also having the same issue.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 12:26:05 AM »
We'd like to connect to your iCamSource with our phone to find out if we can replicate the problem. Please send an email to support@skjm.com for further troubleshooting and reference this post and your username.

Conrad60

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 09:51:38 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new here and first of all I want to introduce myself.
My name is Conrad, I'm Dutch, living for over 30 years in Germany.
My writing in English is as good as I can and as bad as it is, sorry for that...

I have iCamsource Beta installed on a Windows XP Prof. Sp3 computer with Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Sp1 and Microsoft Visual C++ 2008.
This machine has Pentium 4 with 3.4 GHz and 2.0 GB RAM.

I have 6 Foscam WiFi Cameras running and (had) massive problems with system access violation exceptions just by starting the icamsource.exe.
If the program -once in a while- did not freeze, it went down the moment I started the app at my iPhone. All of the Time however, the CPU usage never got over 60%...

The access violation exceptions looked like this one:
Code: [Select]
************** Ausnahmetext **************
System.AccessViolationException: Es wurde versucht, im geschützten Speicher zu lesen oder zu schreiben. Dies ist häufig ein Hinweis darauf, dass anderer Speicher beschädigt ist.
   bei new(UInt32 )
   bei std._Allocate<class std::_Aux_cont>(UInt32 _Count, _Aux_cont* __unnamed001)
   bei std._Container_base_aux_alloc_real<std::allocator<int> >.{ctor}(_Container_base_aux_alloc_real<std::allocator<int> >* , allocator<int>* _Al)
   bei std._Vector_val<int,std::allocator<int> >.{ctor}(_Vector_val<int\,std::allocator<int> >* , allocator<int>* _Al)
   bei std.vector<int,std::allocator<int> >.{ctor}(vector<int\,std::allocator<int> >* )
   bei CameraSettings.{ctor}(CameraSettings* , Int32 index)
   bei WiniCamSource.Form1.SaveCamera(Int32 index)
   bei WiniCamSource.Form1.cameraListbox_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Geladene Assemblys **************
mscorlib
    Assembly-Version: 2.0.0.0.
    Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000).
    CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll.
----------------------------------------
WiniCamSource
    Assembly-Version: 1.0.4190.27692.
    Win32-Version: .
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Programme/iCamSource/iCamSource.exe.
msvcm90
    Assembly-Version: 9.0.30729.4148.
    Win32-Version: 9.00.30729.4148.
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.VC90.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_x-ww_d495ac4e/msvcm90.dll.
System.Drawing
    Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000).
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll.
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll.
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll.
mscorlib.resources
    Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000).
    CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll.
System.Drawing.resources
    Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400).
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing.resources/2.0.0.0_de_b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.resources.dll.
System.Windows.Forms.resources
    Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400).
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll.
I can't read stuff like that, but I bet some of you guys can...

What ever the cause of this issue might have been, I think I solved it by changing some settings in the icamsource.
Since iCamsource uses JPEG pictures to store motion detection, I thought it might help to change settings in just that way.

On the WiFi URL setting I had (for example): http://192.168.2.5/videostream.cgi and the radio button MJPEG turned on.
Now I changed this in to http://192.168.2.5/snapshot.cgi and the radio button JPEG turned on.
I changed these settings with all the cameras and put all the sliders I found on 'Camera' and 'Motion Detection' in the middle.
From there the program runs (almost) stable!
CPU usage even got down to 7% !

This made me happy, but still raises questions.
How can this be?
Is the need of resources by running videostream.cgi and the Mjpeg files so high that the system hangs up?
Is this what I have done a real solution?
If it is, can this work with other cameras as well?
(since I just have Foscam Cameras I can't say if it will work for other cameras as well)
Could it be useful to make a kind of help file with common possible good (and bad) settings (especially the slider settings; I really don't know what they are all about...)?

Hopefully this was useful for you guys.
Thank you for your time reading all this!

cu
Conrad

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 08:46:34 AM »
It sounds like you may have resolved the problem by setting it to JPEG mode. That is a standard troubleshooting step to take if the MJPEG mode isn't working. There are a lot of different IP cameras that all behave differently, so I don't really know what the problem was in this case. My best guess is that the 6 cameras were overwhelming the computer or the network. JPEG mode usually has a lower framerate than MJPEG mode, and would use less CPU on the computer and less bandwidth on the network. If you would like to use MJPEG mode, you can try setting the cameras to output a lower framerate (5 fps) and a lower resolution.