Author Topic: CPU Usage  (Read 2681 times)

DWalla

• View Profile
CPU Usage
« on: July 25, 2011, 03:36:51 PM »
I see this has been discussed on previous threads. But I wanted to bring it up again. I'm noticing 25-30% CPU usage on an i7 quad-core iMac with 8GB of RAM. I realize that you have motion-detection algorithms running in the background, but is there any way you could streamline your code to bring this down to a reasonable <10%? That seems to be pretty high CPU utilization on such a fast processor.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: CPU Usage
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:08:56 PM »
There are lots of factors that you can change to effect CPU usage.

Are you just running the iCamSource with the Built-In iSight camera?

Version 2.2.3 of the iCamSource running on a Late 2008 13-inch Aluminum MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM running OS X 10.7 uses around 10% CPU with Motion Detection enabled and detecting "More Often" with the iCamSource Preferences window closed.

(Closing the iCamSource Preferences window does improve CPU usage because the preview image does not need to be rendered.)

DWalla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 04:11:50 PM »
There are lots of factors that you can change to effect CPU usage.

Are you just running the iCamSource with the Built-In iSight camera?

Version 2.2.3 of the iCamSource running on a Late 2008 13-inch Aluminum MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM running OS X 10.7 uses around 10% CPU with Motion Detection enabled and detecting "More Often" with the iCamSource Preferences window closed.

(Closing the iCamSource Preferences window does improve CPU usage because the preview image does not need to be rendered.)

Yes... using the onboard iSight camera built into the iMac. We are also running Lion on the Machine. The process I see sucking up the cycles is the new QuickTime sandbox "VTDecoderXPCService".... when iCam is off, it's at 0% CPU. When I turn iCam on, it jumps to 25-30% CPU usage.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »
How does the % CPU usage of the helper process look when running other webcam-enabled applications like Photo Booth?

DWalla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:09:19 PM »
How does the % CPU usage of the helper process look when running other webcam-enabled applications like Photo Booth?

It's the same.... 25-30% CPU usage.

Maybe this is a video issue with the new OS.