Author Topic: Request: OS X app or widget  (Read 2994 times)

ericwass

• View Profile
Request: OS X app or widget
« on: March 10, 2010, 05:58:59 PM »
I love iCam on the iPhone and use it all the time.  However, when I'm in my office I like to monitor my nanny and kid at home on my computer using iCam Web.  While it works well, it's a whole browser page: big, inelegant and cluttered with ads.  I tried using Safari's webclip feature to turn just the four video feeds into a widget but it didn't work.  I would really love a dedicated application or a widget that could replicate the features of iCam Web.  I'd pay for it.  Am I alone?

Thank you.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Request: OS X app or widget
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »
I'll add that to our list of potential features to add in the future.

A Mac-native iCam client would be a significant development effort (partly because users would expect a PC native client as well).  One of the reasons we went with the web-based Java implementation was so that we didn't need to develop a specific client  for each operating system.

ericwass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 07:25:54 PM »
I totally get it.  Like I said, I'd be willing to pay for it.  In the meantime would it be possible to give the option for, say, a pop-up window with no scroll bars, url bar, etc?  Or, something that could be more easily turned into a widget by Safari?  Just something smaller, easier to keep on the desktop?
Thanks!

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:05:58 PM »
We aren't currently focused on iCamWeb development, but when we do revisit iCamWeb, we'll keep your suggestions (and other users' suggestions) in mind.

LabradorNYC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 11:07:41 AM »
Try using Fluid. I use it. Certainly not the same as a native app (which could have persistent username/password which would be very nice) but worthwhile.

http://fluidapp.com/

"Fluid lets you create a Site Specific Browser (SSB) out of any website or web application, effectively turning your favorite web apps into desktop apps"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:09:35 AM by LabradorNYC »