Author Topic: can wifi camera stream directly to icam without pc  (Read 2677 times)

spectator

• View Profile
can wifi camera stream directly to icam without pc
« on: January 27, 2010, 10:08:54 PM »
I can't leave my PC tied up all the time to run a camera. Can I just use a Wi-Fi camera and access it from my iPhone? Which Wi-Fi cameras work directly with iCam, without a PC/iCamSource in the middle? Which Wi-Fi cameras work with Safari on the iPhone?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: can wifi camera stream directly to icam without pc
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 02:24:28 AM »
The iCamSource program does need to be running on your computer in order for iCam on your iPhone to connect to it, even for Wi-Fi cameras.  This is due to the firewall/NAT piercing techniques used by iCam.   Also, the motion detection features of iCam (push notifications and motion recording) require iCamSource to be running in order to perform the motion detection processing.

Any Wi-Fi or Ethernet camera that iCamSource can connect to should be viewable through Safari as well, since Safari is able to display the same MJPEG data that iCamSource uses.  iCamSource adds the functionality of piercing the firewall/router and motion detection (notifications and recording).