Author Topic: Administrator wanting to install icam and have auto-start on all accounts  (Read 2590 times)

dadatwork

• View Profile
Hi guys,

I have been using a Logitech Quickcam (S5500- webcam) on a single computer with the icam software for monitoring. It has been working great. I now want to use another webcam on a separate computer (same login/password right?) which is shared by 12 people of which I'm the administrator.  It seems that even though I added the icamsource to the start menu, the first time a user logs in he needs to add the user name and password to get it to work from there on out.  Any work around for that as an administrator? I have no problem doing that 12 times for each person, but it would be easier to not do that.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:04:20 PM by dadatwork »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The account info for the Windows version of iCamSource is stored in the current user portion of the registry. You could get around the issue using command line arguments, but that might be more effort than re-entering the account info for each user.  In your case, the important arguments would be:

-u=<login-string>
-p=<password-string>
-v=<video device index>
-a=<audio device index>

The video and audio indexes start at zero.

For example, to open iCamSource with login "dave" and password "pass1" using the first video device in the list and the third audio device in the list, you would use the command:

icamsource.exe -u=dave -p=pass1 -v=0 -a=2

Using the command line arguments, you can create a batch file that would run iCamSource with the proper arguments and then have each user run the batch file.  There is more information about using batch files to run iCamSource here: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=416.0

dadatwork

• View Profile
Yea. I am hesitant to work with the Registry, but not completely opposed to it.

What I ended up doing was installing the program on my account as an administrator, then dragged the icamsource shortcut to the start up menus for everyone:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu

The first time everyone logged on I walked them through the set up, but now there is a new problem. Even though the the "auto start" is set for each user, after they logout and later come back to login, the program does not work unless they double click on the icamsource short cut.   I'm unsure why it isn't auto-starting? Thoughts?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The "auto-start" option in iCamSource means that it will connect to the camera as soon as the program starts so you don't have to click the Start button.

If you want the program to run on login, put a shortcut to iCamSource in the Startup folder (not the Start Menu).

dadatwork

• View Profile
ah. . . will try "startup" not "start menu." What a dummy.  Will shrink back in a hole grateful for the help if it works. . .