Author Topic: iCam Source - Still pictures  (Read 1469 times)

TomPhillips

• View Profile
iCam Source - Still pictures
« on: March 23, 2015, 06:57:19 AM »
Hi there, I am new to the iCam fraternity

I have a particular requirement that does not require a live video feed. Live audio would be beneficial if it is 2 way.  The application is to view what's happening in a yard.  I am using an iPhone5 as the source and an iPhone6 as the viewer.

There is no wifi nor ADSL at the yard and hence will have to rely on 3G/LTE for the source.  Hence I do not wish for it to be continuously streaming to a server somewhere.  Ideally, I would like to be able to login from my iPhone6 view and get the latest snapshot / still.

My iPhone6 will also not necessarily be in range of wifi and would therefore also use 3G/LTE to connect (this can get expensive when overseas, hence the requirement for stills).

If JPEG stills are not available then is there a way to switch off the data connection of the iPhone5 - iCamSource until requested by the Viewer?  I cannot afford to be continuously streaming data from the yard through the 3G/LTE network.

Can anyone assist please?

Kind regards
Tom

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: iCam Source - Still pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 03:13:10 PM »
iCamSource uses approximately 60MB per month when it’s idling (connected to the server, but not serving up video/audio to an iCam client). When an iCam client connects, it will use more bandwidth when the source is serving up video/audio to the phone, but if you keep your viewing brief and infrequent, it shouldn’t add too much to the monthly bandwidth usage.