Author Topic: e-mail alerts?  (Read 2594 times)

nricciar

• View Profile
e-mail alerts?
« on: January 05, 2010, 03:40:14 PM »
Up until recently I had been using Periscope to do my webcam monitoring, but the ability to get push notification with iCam was enough to make me switch over.

The question I have is will iCamSource ever have the ability to send email notifications (along with attached images from the webcam) at some point?  I use this setup for security as my house has been broken into before, and it has worked quite well for me.  The problem I foresee though with iCam is if anyone decides to take my computer also they can take all the evidence with them.

Corey415

• View Profile
Re: e-mail alerts?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 03:57:11 PM »
Use dropbox.  It will automatically sync motion events to cloud storage (it uses Amazon S3).  They offer 2Gb accounts for free.  They also have a free iphone/ ipod touch app as well.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 03:59:32 PM »
The iCamSource may have that ability in the future, but it isn't something we are focusing on in the short-term since e-mailing an entire motion event would be problematic at best.

If you are concerned with your computer being stolen (and all of the evidence along with it) there have been a number of mentions of using off-site storage sites (like DropBox, MobileMe's iDisk, etc.) as the storage spot for the motion events:

http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=615.0

I personally use DropBox. It's free, and it works great. :)

So yes, what Corey415 (who beat me to it) said.  ;D

nricciar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 05:56:38 PM »
I am not talking about e-mailing the entire event.  Something similar to how Periscope does it would be fine.  It would say send no more than one email per X min, and each email would only have say up to 10 images attached.  

Maybe a better question would be could there be a way for me to run X when a motion event happens.  That way I could write my own program/script to do what I need (email the images to my account for example).

Dropbox and the like is another workable solution though I guess.  I liked the e-mail since it was always in front of my face at work so it tended to be the easiest way to get notification.

The iCamSource may have that ability in the future, but it isn't something we are focusing on in the short-term since e-mailing an entire motion event would be problematic at best.

If you are concerned with your computer being stolen (and all of the evidence along with it) there have been a number of mentions of using off-site storage sites (like DropBox, MobileMe's iDisk, etc.) as the storage spot for the motion events:

http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=615.0

I personally use DropBox. It's free, and it works great. :)

So yes, what Corey415 (who beat me to it) said.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:58:10 PM by nricciar »

Corey415

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »
If you can install Dropbox on your work computer and assuming that they don't block the Dropbox connection, the system tray icon will pop up any time a file is uploaded to your Dropbox.  In this case, any time a motion event is captured you will be instantly notified.