Author Topic: Icam on Android Tablet question  (Read 3105 times)

SeanJ

• View Profile
Icam on Android Tablet question
« on: September 18, 2014, 01:52:20 AM »
I've used icam for many years -  but only on PC's around the house and viewing them on an iphone.  I'm getting a big 21" hp slate tablet (android) to display digital sheet music (sits on piano). It has a webcam built in so it would also double as a  great security cam at night, it only has1 gig ram so I'm hoping that may be enough as it won't be used for both purposes at once.

My question is do I just load the android version of icam onto it, make sure the ports are ok at the router and then hopefully it should appear as the 3rd cam on my iphone? A basic question I know but i'm not used to using tablets as cams so any help/pointers are apreciated.

thanks.  Sean Jackson
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:14:55 AM by SeanJ »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Icam on Android Tablet question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 02:25:20 AM »
I'm thinking you will probably need an Android app (similar to SKJM's ipCam app for iOS) that will convert your tablet's camera into an IP camera so that you can add it as a source in icamsource on your PC. That's just an educated guess, though. You could try the app linked below (which looks to be free) or the Pro version of the same app (which is $4). It mentions MJPEG stream at some point in the description, so hopefully you can find the correct URL to use. SKJM has 2 tools (you can look through my old posts...I've posted the links several times) to help find the correct URL.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=en

If the above works, you'll want to assign a static IP address to your tablet (can usually be done on most recent routers). Other than that, you might just need to expand the number of ports forwarded through your router (and in icamsource) IF you're using manual port forwarding. Otherwise, you might just reboot your router and computer after configuring it to make sure uPNP entries in the router are updated when using the auto-config setting in icamsource for the router.

SeanJ

• View Profile
Re: Icam on Android Tablet question
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 05:17:38 AM »
thanks OUAnt,
 oh right, my hope was that the tablet would run Icam source and use it's own built in cam (all self contained) without using another pc,  then do a wireless jump onto the home network to be viewed on my phone same as the other pc's/cams. Seems i may have a simplistic view of things!  I'll hopefully find a way through (like you suggested) by the end of the week.

Sean

Update: I'm missing the obvious here in that there is no source program for the android just the viewing program. Anyway I harnessed my last downstairs PC for one more logitech quickcam and I now have a downstairs house cam, it's sorted now. I only ever got peace of mind with one of these cams per PC for proper use as they usually had a driver fail after a month or so with 2 or 3 duplicates on a single machine, keeps the CPU down a bit too.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:30:32 PM by SeanJ »