Author Topic: Icam caught burglars in my workshop  (Read 3316 times)

SeanJ

• View Profile
Icam caught burglars in my workshop
« on: May 17, 2014, 05:01:44 PM »
I've used icam for about 6 years+ with the odd false alarm but not last week, it shouted at 1.30 in the morning and I dealt with the matter  promptly!. All i've got in my (dark) locked workshop is a cheap £10  PIR security light and a logitech webcampro, the light illuminates anyone who can get in and that triggers icam, giving me me plenty of well lit shots while telling me that somethings going on downstairs.

On another matter is anyone here using night vision or infra red senstive cams with icam as this would be great for the wider picture outside a dark premises?. Any input on that would be apreciated.

thanks.  sean
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 05:03:32 PM by SeanJ »

rjgvt

• View Profile
Re: Icam caught burglars in my workshop
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 04:53:47 AM »
I have two Airlink IP cams with IR and pan/tilt. I only use them indoors and cannot point them out of a window because of reflected IR at night. They are also not temperature rated for our winters in Vermont. I use Airlink 1620W's pointed out of a window with an outdoor light and a motion light. I also use a motion activated indoor light at a remote location and a 102db siren I got from Radio Shack for less than $7 US. Siren is activated through an old PIR camera that has programmable outputs using the PIR. The camera is dead, but the circuitry works. I believe that lights and piercing sounds would disorient people when they least expect it.

Good job on catching the bad guys or gals.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 01:29:43 PM »
Sean,

I think rjgvt's method is going to be the most cost effective and best choice in the long term. I have a cheap pan/tilt camera with a few IR "bulbs" circling the lens. Some of those IR bulbs have quit working, so the night vision has diminished as more and more bulbs quit working. If you get a camera with built-in IR, you'll eventually have to replace the camera or take it apart to replace the IR board. It's much easier to replace a flood light or 2 when they burn out. Plus, you get color images (with realistic color) and more detail.

If the burglars are still alive, they're lucky...they probably wouldn't be if they got caught down here in Texas. We shoot first and ask questions later. lol

rjgvt,

Great tip on the siren. If I didn't live in a neighborhood with a bunch of stray cats and other random nocturnal wildlife, I'd definitely wire a siren up.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 04:51:08 AM »
Anthony,

I have the siren at my hunting camp indoors. Would only be activated if someone went inside.

Bob

SeanJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:02:58 AM »
thanks all, yeah i've gone down the audio alarm route to augment my setup, just a couple of cheapish ones on the back of a door and inside somewhere else. It is dissorientating to get this sound - esp if your a stranger in a strange place, your not going to hang around for long even if the sound ceases as someone could be on their way imminently (me!). Also having a couple of different systems in place (whatever they are) is always great insurance in case one doesn't perform it's highly likely the other one will. Peace of mind or as close as your ever going to get probably - short of getting/training a dog!

thanks for your input guys, great as ever.

Sean