Author Topic: Some hints on when it "just doesn't work"  (Read 1615 times)

Zarkov

• View Profile
Some hints on when it "just doesn't work"
« on: October 10, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »
I've been using iCam for years with great success. I posted extensive tutorials on what to do when iCam "just doesn't work" and how to do port forwarding and the like. I recently changed my network and found some further information users might find useful.

Most DSL modems sold today (or provided by the ISP) are in fact modem/routers, and many do not have WiFi capability. In these cases (or when, for example, you want to run a Time Capsule or whatever), you need to connect your WiFi router to the modem/router. In that case, unless you do something, both the modem/router and the WiFi router will be handing out DHCP addresses. This is a bad thing. Sometimes it will work, if the two units use different starting addresses, (10.xxx.xxx.xxx versus 192.xxx.xxx.xxx), but sometimes not. What you need to do is place one of the units in Bypass mode, and let the other hand out DHCP addresses.

This can be difficult when the ISP refuses to provide information on how to put the modem/router in Bypass mode, so many (i.e., I) put the downstream unit (in my case, a Time Capsule) in Bypass mode. When you do that, you have to so the whole Port Forwarding rigamarole. You can do so, but it's a pain in the butt.

However, if you put the modem/router in Bypass mode, the magic iCam software works, and you don't need Port Forwarding. In my case, I bought a Motorola modem/router compatible with my ISP from Wally World, which did come with instructions on how to put it in Bypass mode.

You might want to try this to avoid Port Forwarding. Good luck!

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Some hints on when it "just doesn't work"
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 04:14:20 PM »
Thanks for the post!  8)

Yes, it does seem like most DSL modems are actually modem/routers ... Not sure why that doesn't seem to be the case with cable modems, but I sure do wish DSL providers wouldn't provide a non-WiFi modem router to their customers.