Author Topic: iCam shuts down after short time - Have to restart remotely  (Read 3824 times)

earlca6

• View Profile
This has been posted before but I don't see how it was resolved. I am using iMac built-in isight camera with OS 10.8.3:

It continually shuts down - sometimes only after a few minutes or an hour. Computer is not going to sleep mode.  I have a second computer that is running icam ok. No crash or time-out issues.

I've updated to the latest version of icamsource

Any thoughts?

Should I just send crashlog report to support?   Thanks.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: iCam shuts down after short time - Have to restart remotely
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »
While you're waiting for a response from SKJM, you might try some of this advice to see if it fixes your issue:

http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=3853.msg12901#msg12901

earlca6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »
I am not having problems seeing the icam preferences window in the menu bar.  All that works good. I have the icam app installed for 2 users on the computer and it seems to work for both - but then the app seems to quit itself after some time. 

I will get the crash log and send it to skjm if I don't figure it out.

Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:21:34 PM »
My iCamSource crashes periodically.  Does SKJM want the crash logs?  Windows also periodically checks for solutions and submits the crash logs to Windows and it never finds a solution.  Do these crash logs go to SKJM for their review?  Periodically is once a week or so...I use Jumi to log on to my computer and either reboot the computer or just restart iCamSource.

Merlin

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 10:11:30 PM »
Mac iCamSource crash logs are usually more informative than Windows ones, unfortunately.

These days, Mac iCamSource crashes are usually due to an old 3ivx codec being installed (uninstalling the codec fixes the issue) or excessive CPU usage. Windows iCamSource crashses are usually due to invalid / corrupt iCamSource settings or excessive CPU usage.

If the iCamSource crashes or disappears when it is first launched or when the Start button is clicked, deleting the com.skjm.icamsource.plist file in your Library/Preferences folder (Mac) or downloading and running the http://skjm.com/icam/CleaniCamKey.reg registry cleaner (Windows) will reset your iCamSource settings and should allow you to launch the iCamSource again.

If the iCamSource crashes or disappears sporadically after running for a while, it is likely an excessive CPU usage issue. To reduce the CPU usage of the iCamSource, try reducing the overall number of cameras, or in the case of network IP cameras, reducing the MJPEG frame rate of each camera to around 2-5 frames per second. You can also try closing (hiding) the iCamSource Preferences window and/or disabling Motion Detection to reduce the CPU usage of the iCamSource and see if that improves its stability.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 05:34:18 AM »
Also, in the past, I've had icamsource crash on a Windows machine due to incorrect port forwarding issues. That would be worth looking into if the crash occurs when attempting to view the cameras with the iCam app on your smart device.