Author Topic: Four cameras installed, only 2 working  (Read 2082 times)

johnburton

• View Profile
Four cameras installed, only 2 working
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:25:54 AM »
I can see two of my cameras...but I cannot see two others.

Source Connection Error - One or more of the iCamSources returned by the iCam Broker Server could not be connected to.

Update: Now, things have gone a bit crazy. I installed the beta version on one of the computers... and now I can't see any cameras. It also shows that I have 6 cameras, not four.

Also, two of the computers are showing the upnp error... the two that originally didn't work. Not sure why that's the case when the others are (were!) working fine.

So, as it sits, I can see no cameras at all. I've tried on Android and on the web.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:00:43 AM by johnburton »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Four cameras installed, only 2 working
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 12:12:10 PM »
It sounds like you're running icamsource on multiple computers. Is that correct? If so, my personal experience is that it's better to use manual port forwarding. It's a task to set up, but it'll be rock-solid once you configure it correctly. Let's say you have 3 computers with the following local IP addresses: 192.168.1.10, 192.168.1.20, and 192.168.1.30

On each computer, you'll need to use the manual port forwarding registry file if on a Windows machine (http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSourcePortForwarding.reg). I haven't done it on a Mac, so I'm not sure how that works. Then you'll need to use a different range of UDP ports for each computer...allowing 6 ports per camera (I think that's what they recommend). For example, let's say the computer ending in IP address 10 has 2 cameras, the one ending in 20 has 1 camera, and the one ending with 30 has 1 camera. On the computer ending in IP address 10, you'd want to forward UDP ports 12000-12011 (12 ports for 2 cameras). On the computer ending in IP address 20, you'd want to forward UDP ports 12012-12017 (6 ports for 1 camera). And on computer ending in IP address 30, you'd want to forward UDP ports 12018-12023 (6 ports for 1 camera). Now for the harder part...

You'll need to find the port forwarding section in your router settings. Depending on your router, entering the settings correctly (and in the correct place) could be really easy...or it could be a real pain. Make sure that you aren't entering this information as a virtual server setting or some other type of setting that looks similar to port forwarding. Using the same example IP addresses as above, this is the information you'd want to enter into the port forwarding section of your router:

Rule 1:
    Private/local IP address: 192.168.1.10
    Private/local ports: UDP ports 12000-12011
    Public IP address: *.* (*.* means all IP address)
    Public ports: same as private/local ports

Rule 2:
    Private/local IP address: 192.168.1.20
    Private/local ports: UDP ports 12012-12017
    Public IP address: *.*

Rule 3:
    Private/local IP address: 192.168.1.30
    Private/local ports: UDP ports 12018-12023
    Public IP address: *.*

johnburton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »
What if it's dynamic? Will that make a difference?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:02:30 PM »
Ah, yeah...you'll want to assign each computer running icamsource a specific IP address on your local network (instead of allowing them to be assigned via DHCP). Newer routers will typically allow you to do that...assigning a specific IP address based on the network device's MAC address. If you have a laptop that you travel with and use on other networks, using the router option (if available) would probably be easier in the long run.