Author Topic: Start/Stop iCamSource at certain times.  (Read 5192 times)

undertow

• View Profile
Start/Stop iCamSource at certain times.
« on: December 01, 2009, 08:22:26 AM »
First of all, the product works great. I just have one question:

Is there any way to have iCamSource (Mac) start and stop at certain times? I like to leave my iCam running on my iMac at work when I'm not around, but it's an annoyance to have to start/stop it manually. I'd like it to start/stop at certain times, automatically. The thing is, I have motion detection notifications sent -- and if I forget to turn it off, then I get spammed with motion notifications. I was thinking of scripting it via AppleScript, but I see iCamSource doesn't have any AppleScript dictionary events.

Is there another way to do this, if not, is this something that could be added in a future revision?

Thanks!

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Start/Stop iCamSource at certain times.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »
That is a feature that has been requested in the past, and once iCam 1.3 is approved by Apple and released we will review our list of requested features and discuss which features have been most requested and would benefit the largest number of users.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

If you do get motion detections when you are not there and want to turn them off, you can do so through iCam as well as through the iCamSource.

poopy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 05:00:22 PM »
I'll second this. I would love it if you could add basic AppleScript-ability. Basic Start/Stop functionality would be wonderful.

scott721

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 07:51:28 AM »
+1 for Applescript capabilities. 

There's no need for me to keep the camera active while at my desk so I'd like to set it up to turn on when I leave via an Applescript.  I've already got a script set up via Quickeys that sets my Skype status to "Offline", mutes my sound, turns on the screensaver, etc.  Adding the ability to simply start/stop via Applescript would be extremely helpful. 

scott721

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »
Actually, I figured out how to do this with some very simple Applescript commands.

Launch iCamSource:
tell application "iCamSource"
   launch
end tell

Quit iCamSource:
tell application "iCamSource"
   quit
end tell

This will do what you want - I've now got them integrated into a Quickeys sequence that does a bunch of other things upon the press of a button when I leave my desk (e.g., set Skype status to "Offline", mute the sound, start the screensaver, etc.) and now have added "Launch iCamSource."  I have the reverse set up for when I return to my desk that has now added "Quit iCamSource." 

Hope this helps.   

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »
Very cool, thanks! :)

Zeb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 11:58:29 AM »
Nice one, cheers.  This works well with Airlock (automatically locks your mac when your iphone is more than the specified distance away)

Save the scripts as applications (dont save as script, it just opens it for editing!) from the AppleScript Editor then use the actions in airlock preferences to add the launch one in the out of range section, and the quit one in the other.

Pretty good!

Hopefully in the future there will be the ability in icam to turn it on and off without the need to quit the application, and the ability to start the video remotely, and then it'll be perfect.

It might be that a feature like this but built in, perhaps triggered by screensaver or screen lock would also be useful for others.

Cheers,
Zeb.