Author Topic: Webcam usb extension cable recommendations  (Read 7153 times)

Mr.Electric

• View Profile
Webcam usb extension cable recommendations
« on: November 09, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
I have been experimenting with adding cheap USB webcams to my camera network. Im running icam on a netbook. I have an active USB extension and a regular USB extension both don't work to connect to the webcam. The webcam is no longer present on my computer. Oddly a USB mouse will work through both extensions. I am thinking of trying the extension in conjunction with a powered USB hub to make sure it is not a voltage drop issue. I am also considering trying the USB over cat 5 cable set ups.  Does anyone have a combination of parts that works to instal a webcam wired about 20' from the computer?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Webcam usb extension cable recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 05:08:41 PM »
Generally we do not recommend connecting USB cameras via hubs or extension because they tend to degrade the signal.

For cameras located at a distance from the computer running iCamSource, we recommend WiFi Network IP cameras.

We discuss the recommended cameras on our forum here: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=908.0

lanedava

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 10:42:19 AM »
My local electronics store expert told me that usb signal will degrade rapidly after about 15 ft of cable (especially with video). I bought a 75 ft usb cable that has a built in signal/power booster and a 4 port usb hub and then connected my usb webcam. WORKS PERFECT. Appears to me he was correct

Mr.Electric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 08:01:02 PM »
I think I could live with signal degradation if it meant fuzzy image not no image. Can you show a link to the 75 foot cord and camera that worked for you.
Thank you