Author Topic: Logitech c615 and Mac running Mountain Lion  (Read 3758 times)

Jaye

• View Profile
Logitech c615 and Mac running Mountain Lion
« on: August 25, 2012, 04:09:53 PM »
I thought I'd finally found the answer to my webcam woes. Bought a Logitech C615 that claims to be for Mac/PC. My Mac is running Mountain Lion (10.8) and apparently that isn't going to work with this contraption. From searching the web I've seen that it does work with 10.6. Not going to help me there.

I had already given up my dream of having a wireless webcam that gives me good (or at least decent) sound and opted for a USB one with a usb extender, but now I can't even get a picture to show up. Frustrating!

Guess I'm back to just lugging my laptop around when I want to view iCam from a different room.

Grrrrrr!

Anyone else having this issue or, better yet, anyone solve this issue?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Logitech c615 and Mac running Mountain Lion
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 02:06:28 AM »
Are you using a USB extender or ACTIVE USB extender? The basic extender usually results in not enough power making it to the camera (the longer the cable, the less likely the camera will work). An active extender provides the correct power to the camera so that it will work (assuming it's compatible). According to this page, the C615 "should" work with the drivers provided by Mac (meaning don't install the Logitech drivers):

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Webcams/Is-Logitech-C615-compatible-with-Mac-OS-X-Lion-Mountain-Lion/td-p/862078

Try uninstalling the Logitech drivers and plugging the camera directly into the computer...see if you can get a picture then. If so, you can try purchasing an active USB extender and see if that will work for you. If not, maybe the SKJM guys (who ARE Mac guys) can help.

Jaye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 10:28:41 AM »
I haven't unpacked the extender I purchased yet...just plugged the usb that came with the camera right into the computer...no picture at all, and help menu won't open. I found by scrubbing through the net that this is a known glitch.

Have decided to take the Logitech back and get a Dropcam. More expensive, but it should work with my system. That way I can put it out of view or move it around and still use my icam, laptop and desktop. Gives me one more view without all these hassles (I hope). I don't suppose iCam will be able to see my Dropcam? (I know...just dreaming).

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 11:30:39 AM »
According to the specs, it uses H.264...so it won't work with iCam until SKJM adds H.264 support. Many people seem to be asking for it, and they recently indicated that they probably will add H.264 support at some point in the future...but who knows when? They have to pay licensing fees for H.264, so I'm sure they'd have to find out how much and how to modify their product pricing to accomodate the licensing fee. I hope they figure it out soon!

Also, since Dropcam is really an IP camera, have you read reviews from Amazon or elsewhere concerning the sound quality? I'd think it'd use a better compression method for the audio since it's using better compression for the video as well...but since audio quality is important, you'll want to double-check it. Added bonus for the Dropcam...it appears they have an App to make it easier to use...and it supports 2-way audio, so no messy Skype setup so you can talk to your dogs. Maybe their app even includes push notification for motion?