Author Topic: iSight won't start, works in all other programs  (Read 6054 times)

Gump

• View Profile
iSight won't start, works in all other programs
« on: May 17, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Hello, I'm trying to use iCamSource on my Snow Leopard Macbook Pro. It used to work just fine but after a recent format/restore with Time Capsule, iCamsource can no longer "START" because the iSight does not turn on.

The iSight camera is detected under the drop down for "1 - Built in iSight"....but it just won't start. I have confirmed that iSight is working just fine in other programs -- Skype, Google Voice Chat, Photo Booth, etc.

I used AppCleaner to remove iCamsource and reinstall it, but that has done nothing.

Please help as I cannot start iCamsource until it gets the iSight to turn on!

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: iSight won't start, works in all other programs
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:33:44 AM »
Have you deleted (-) the iSight from the cameras list and re-added (+) it? If that doesn't work you can close the iCamSource application and then delete your com.skjm.icamsource.plist file in your Library/Preferences folder in your home folder. Then, when you re-start the iCamSource, you will be starting with a fresh set of preferences, and hopefully things will act as expected.

Gump

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 06:18:20 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I just tried both, neither worked. The built in iSight simply won't start.... any other ideas? Thank you!!

me2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 12:07:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I just tried both, neither worked. The built in iSight simply won't start.... any other ideas? Thank you!!

Do you have any other USB cameras connected?  I've recently found that the built-in iSight is on an internal USB buss and any other USB cams will conflict.  But it should work by itself.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 12:11:43 PM »
Run Photobooth (and see the preview), then start the iCamSource. Does the preview show up? It's a strange occurrence but, sometimes Photobooth is able to "warm up" the camera so that it works with the iCamsource as well.

Gump

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 06:21:14 AM »
Thank you. I tried it but that also did not work, even after also repeating your previous steps once again.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 12:53:57 PM »
Do you have any other USB cameras connected?

Me2 mentioned an issue that we've come across, with certain Mac models, that prevent multiple USB cameras working simultaneously due to an issue with the USB bus. It isn't a problem with iCamSource in particular, because the problem occurs with other programs as well.

If you are running a USB camera in addition to your iSight, you can find out if this is the problem you are experiencing by trying to open two of the cameras in different programs simultaneously (such as iChat or Photobooth).  For example, open one camera in Photobooth and then try to open a different camera in iChat.

Gump

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 02:02:57 PM »
I don't have any USB cameras installed nor have I ever, I actually have zero devices plugged into my machine. All I am using is the built in iSight that came with my Macbook. This worked perfectly until I restored my Macbook from a backup.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 07:12:10 PM »
Thanks for that additional information.

Please make sure that you have all of the latest OS X updates installed, particularly QuickTime.

Also, please start Photo Booth (enabling the camera) then start the iCamSource and click the Start button and send us a screenshot of your screen to support@skjm.com with both windows open so we can try and determine what the issue is.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 11:16:44 AM »
Are you able to access your camera using Photobooth still? What version of iCamSource are you running?

Gump

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 10:58:45 PM »
Yes I can still access my iSight in Photobooth. I'm using iCamSource v2.2.3.

I'm not able to press 'start' in iCamSource because the button is greyed out. I will be taking a screenshot and emailing it to you.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 01:07:23 PM »
Gump is receiving support through email.

adesound

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 02:14:30 PM »
Gump, did you ever get the problem solved?

scottaudiosc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 01:10:42 PM »
I have a 2011 27" iMac w/ iSight HD. I also connected a USB webcam to act as a baby monitor. The USB cam is working fine, but I am unable to get the iSight camera to work with iCam. I tried "warming" it with Photobooth, but it won't work in Photobooth (or Facetime). However, it works fined with Skype. I wonder what Skype is doing to enable camera switching... I would be nice to have this working as a security cam for my upstairs media room. Any thoughts or suggestions?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 02:54:21 PM »
Gump, did you ever get the problem solved?

Gump's solution was to enter a login/password combination. You will not be able to press Start until you do so. You can set the login and password in iCamSource (on your computer) to be anything you want. If you forget your login or password, you can just change them to something new on iCamSource.

In iCam on your iPhone, make sure you are using the exact same login/password you entered in iCamSource on your computer. To edit the login and password in iCam on your iPhone, click the "i" button in the bottom right corner of the screen. That button will take you to the Settings page, where you can edit the login and password.