Author Topic: I have to turn off wifi on my iPhone to see video/events (only works over 3g)  (Read 1982 times)

weCam

• View Profile
I am running the latest iCam source on a Windows 7 machine. I have a USB webcam hooked up and also a D-Link IP camera running over wifi. On my iPhone (running iOS 5.1), I receive alerts when motion is detected according to the parameters I have set, however, if my phone is connected to a wifi network (doesn't matter which one - at my office, hotel, someone else's house - wherever), I get the "Source Connection Error" when I try to open the app. As soon as I turn off the wifi radio on my phone, I can see all my cameras with no problem whatsoever.

I'll also add that I have the iCam source running on an XP machine at my mother-in-law's house so that my wife and I can keep an eye on things when she comes to visit us, and I have the same issue - if my iPhone is connected to a wifi network, I can't see anything. Turn off the wifi radio on my phone, and everything works fine.

Does anybody else have this problem?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Sounds like a port forwarding issue. Have you enabled auto config router feature in icamsource? If so, do you also have uPNP enabled in your router settings?

weCam

• View Profile
UPnP is working fine. I get, "UPnP Success 12001 -> 12001". Also, I am wondering how it could be a router or port forwarding issue. Does the iCamSource software somehow know whether the iCam client device from which the request originates is connected via 3G or WiFi? I would have thought that all the incoming traffic would look the same to my router and the iCamSource regardless of how the client iPhone connects to the internet.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
It really depends on the complexity of the networks involved between you and your icamsource host. According to the SKJM guys, their network piercing logic works for most networks...but complex networks require proper port forwarding. But since you have uPNP success, I have no idea what's wrong...the SKJM guys will have to help you. Good luck!

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
When you are unable to connect to "a WiFi network", does that include your local WiFi? Some remote public WiFi can be very restrictive. Often, they will only allow web browsing and email. 

If it does include your local WiFi, please quit or disable all firewall software on the computer running iCamSource (temporarily) to see if iCam starts working.

Also, even though you are not receiving video, receiving Push Notifications is common. The Push Notifications use the Apple Push Notification Service, while the iCam connections are direct connections between the phone and the computer, so they don't really have anything to do with each other.