Author Topic: Audio or video randomly stops working  (Read 8480 times)

Teresa

• View Profile
Re: Audio or video randomly stops working
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 02:03:21 AM »
When the video freezes just like few minutes ago I've checked the icam source window. The first running cam was ok,the second freezes displays only grey color. Pressing stop and then start button fix it for a while. The same with sound.

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 02:05:42 AM »
Yes freezing issues I have also when connected only 1 webcam. Have tried on all version of icam source incl latest 2.4.4b. The frame rate in icam source window is good, on iphone/ipod/ipad terrible!

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 11:41:05 AM »
The freezing issue and the frame rate issue are two separate problems. Let's look at the frame rate problem first:

- - -

If 2.4.4 gives you a slow FPS when 2.4.3b is smooth, then the fix put into 2.4.4 based on the changes made in 2.4.3b must not have been sufficient to completely fix the problem.

If you could download the following 2.4.3c logging version and unzip it to your iCamSource folder and run it, it should also be smooth when you connect using iCam: http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource2.4.3c.zip

When it is running, it will also create an iCamSource_Debug_Log.txt file in your iCamSource folder. If you could e-mail that log file to support@skjm.com after confirming that the frame rate is smoother than 2.4.4 then hopefully we can track down the additional causes of this issue. Don't leave 2.4.3c running indefinitely as it will continue to create a larger and larger log file.

- - -

As for the freezing issue, it is likely an issue between the computer and your camera since the iCamSource simply sits and waits for the system to hand it data from the camera once it has connected. If, after a while, the camera stops sending image it may be a hardware / driver issue. When you are running the iCamSource with a single webcam connected, what are the descriptions of the items in the Video and Audio drop-down lists that you choose?

Also, make sure that there are not duplicate entries in the Cameras list on the left-hand side of the iCamSource Preferences window. If the same webcam is entered more than once that can cause problems.

Also, what is the % CPU usage of the iCamSource application when running (after you have clicked the Start button) in the Task Manager?

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 12:59:07 PM »
Ok thanks, now I'm running the 2.4.3c version and collecting data. How long should I leave it running?

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
And YES, the 2.4.3c version frame rate is much more higher. I'm running it now for about 15 minutes with no crash! :)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 01:02:23 PM »
If you have run it and confirmed that the frame rate is higher in iCam then that should be enough. (The log file will hopefully contain the cause of the slow frame rate in 2.4.4 ...)

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 02:19:32 PM »
Log file sent to your email, thanks

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 02:51:57 PM »
Uh few minutes later I've sent the log to you on one two cameras the sound stopped working. The sound for both cameras has one source from external mic so the sound is not taken from  cameras. :(

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
I have a new version for you to try that does not create a log file but should hopefully fix your slow frame rate issue: http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource2.4.3d.zip

If you could download that version and let me know that it also fixes the slow frame rate issue, I would appreciate it. (It is similar to 2.4.3c except it does not create a log file, so you can leave it running.)

As for the sound stopping, does the video stop when the sound stops? Or is it just the sound?

When the iCamSource is running, if you could open the Task Manager and see what the % CPU usage of the iCamSource is, I would appreciate it as well: http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/taskman.htm

I am assuming you are running Windows XP Service Pack 3 and have all of the latest OS updates installed, correct?

What are the descriptions of the items in the Video and Audio drop-down lists that you choose?

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »
2.4.3d is running good frame rate too.
When the sound stops working my currently 2 connected cams continue running video and the second also audio with no change, just one have no audio more. When I press just stop button and again start it solve I have video and audio on both cams for a while.
The cpu usage when running smooth and when something stops working is the same about 30% on my machine.
Yes I'm running latest xp updates incl SP3.
On drop down menu in icamsource I have one cam USB video device, second is USB PC Camera with mic (SN9C105). And both cameras takes sound from internal pc mic in to which is connected external mic because of earlier troibles with audio stops working. When I take audio from cameras its stopping too.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 11:02:15 AM »
USB Video Device indicates that Windows is using the generic webcam drivers for the device instead of the ones provided by the webcam manufacturer. The generic webcam drivers do have stability issues with a number of webcams, similar to the problems you are experiencing. (They work for a while but then just quit.)

I believe you mentioned you were using Logitech webcams in a previous post. If that is the case, please make sure you have the latest webcam drivers installed for your Logitech webcams, downloaded directly from Logitech: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support-downloads

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »
It's not using generic driver. Drivers for all cams were successfully installed. Also the Logitech cam which I'm using rather connected to mac had on PC its driver, with the full name in drop down menu in icam sourceand had the same interrupts of video and sound as the other cams. The sad thing is that sometimes but MORE LESS! it happens also on Mac. During the day stops working the audio stream for example. So it's something inside the icam source. I really like your software, thats why I payid for it but its not a safe solution for wathching my house cause I can't believe the pictures, never knows when it freeze again so it will not send me the push notofications of some intruder etc. I have really tried lots of different cams wit its drivers on four computers, pc and macs and the freezes were on all!!On a Mac just few times but did, on pc every day minimum one freeze.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 06:39:30 PM »
There are currently no other users reporting this freezing issue, so I am guessing that it has something to do with your specific setup.

If you choose "No Audio" from the Audio drop-down list does the video eventually stop / freeze? It may be something specific to the audio capture for some reason.

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »
:(( it's really sad because I setup new router today, tried all versions of icam source on 3 different pcs and 2 macs, 5 different webcams and the result was on all the same - randomly freezes.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »
Since it seems that the issue is with the iCamSource receiving audio and video from the webcams, changing the network router shouldn't have an effect.

Did you try choosing "No Audio" in the iCamSource with a single webcam? Also, what type of Mac do you have? Does it have a built-in webcam?