Author Topic: WiFi Camera Recommendation  (Read 6644 times)

wArch

• View Profile
WiFi Camera Recommendation
« on: August 07, 2009, 10:13:17 AM »
I've not used a Webcam before and have decided to get one. I think I would prefer a WiFi camera for maximum flexibility of location for viewing. I'm looking at this as a security measure so I would like it to have motion detection capabilities so I get push notifications but do not need sound.

Can anyone out there give me a recommendation for a good camera? Once I know what some good specs are I can decide on cost.

I have a server running Exchange 2003 and all computers are running Windows XP SP3. I'm assuming that I would be putting the iCamSource software on the server but I really don't know. Any help here would be very welcome also.

Thanks

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: WiFi Camera Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 02:52:48 PM »
iCamSource supports Wi-Fi cameras that output MJPEG or JPEG formatted data, so there are lots of cameras that should work.  The Linksys WVC54GCA (not the WVC54GC) and the Airlink101 SkyIPCam250W are the models we own, so they've both been tested extensively.

Yes, you would need to run the iCamSource software on a computer in order to view the webcam video on your iPhone. With IP cameras, it won't matter which computer you run iCamSource on, as long as the computer stays up and isn't set to go to sleep.

slappywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 03:37:29 PM »
I just bought four of these refurb on eBay and been very happy with them (you need Internet Explorer to set motion zones, but all the other features are cross platform)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Linksys-WVC54GCA-Wireless-Internet-Video-Cam-WebCam_W0QQitemZ330323730950QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Video_Conferencing_Webcams?hash=item4ce8d42206&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 04:07:30 PM by slappywhite »

liamdillon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 08:10:17 AM »
Yes, you would need to run the iCamSource software on a computer in order to view the webcam video on your iPhone

Can I ask a stupid question? Does the computer running iCamSource have to be on the same LAN as the cameras? I'm considering installing 4 WiFi IP cameras at a holiday home to remotely monitor from the UK. I have a Mac there, so I have no problem running iCamSource... It would just be more convenient to run it where I'm based (UK) to resolve any system failures, crashes, etc.,

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 09:15:44 AM »
No, it doesn't. As long as the computer the iCamSource is running on can access the cameras through the Internet, then you should be set.

(I actually run a test iCamSource that I connect to various public IP cameras around the world, just to free up my webcams.)  :)

tibook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 09:25:28 AM »
I'm having equal success with Axis and Vivotek cams, both are high quality, and both on a Mac. The Vivotek is actually a CCD cam, the Axis a CMOS, but still pretty good.

robin.fox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 07:10:12 AM »
Hi

can you recommend a wifi camera with night vision that will work on a mac, with your software?

Thanks

Robin

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 04:53:21 PM »
The AirLink101 SkyIPCam500W (http://www.airlink101.com/products/aicn500w.php) is the only camera that we have tried that includes Night Vision, but I believe we did need to use a PC running Windows to get it setup. After that, you could connect to it as an MJPEG camera using any browser for the Mac or the iCamSource.

Anyone else have any recommendations?

drex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 06:09:27 PM »
iCamSource supports Wi-Fi cameras that output MJPEG or JPEG formatted data, so there are lots of cameras that should work.  The Linksys WVC54GCA (not the WVC54GC) and the Airlink101 SkyIPCam250W are the models we own, so they've both been tested extensively.

Yes, you would need to run the iCamSource software on a computer in order to view the webcam video on your iPhone. With IP cameras, it won't matter which computer you run iCamSource on, as long as the computer stays up and isn't set to go to sleep.

so, to hijack this thread, why not add the capability to stream audio from these cameras?  i purchased your software, and really would enjoy the benefits of using my  MVC54GCA as a wireless IP based camera that could stream audio.  Your software would sell like hotcakes (moreso than now) for use in monitoring kids... IMO

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 01:01:23 AM »
drex - Audio for IP cameras is definitely on our list of features to possibly add in the future.  If most IP cameras support a standard audio format (similar to MJPEG for video), we will most likely support that format.