Author Topic: No sources found  (Read 2563 times)

Dresdend

• View Profile
No sources found
« on: December 10, 2011, 01:33:00 AM »
I have a mac mini running OS 10.4 and an isight camera that I have repurposed to do nothing but serve as a camera source for icam. It is directly connected to an airport express which is a remote for the airport extreme router for the house. I find that I am able to connect to it from my iPad or iPhone from multiple locations both inside my network or on the road for 2-4 hours. Inevitably I get a no sources found and have to reboot the mini (no screen attached). I am using the latest icam source and client.
I am now reduced to having my mini automatically reboot once a day when I am away.
What gives?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: No sources found
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 11:54:45 AM »
Have you tried this version of icamsource?

http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource2.4.0.6.dmg

I saw it linked in another thread...and it addresses issues with icamsource disconnecting after a certain amount of time. If that doesn't work, reply back and I'm sure the SKJM guys will get you up and running quickly.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »
I have a mac mini running OS 10.4 and an isight camera that I have repurposed to do nothing but serve as a camera source for icam. It is directly connected to an airport express which is a remote for the airport extreme router for the house. I find that I am able to connect to it from my iPad or iPhone from multiple locations both inside my network or on the road for 2-4 hours. Inevitably I get a no sources found and have to reboot the mini (no screen attached). I am using the latest icam source and client.
I am now reduced to having my mini automatically reboot once a day when I am away.
What gives?

Are you running 10.4 or 10.4.11 (the most up-to-date version of Tiger) ?

Is the mini a PPC or Intel?

If you are running Tiger on an old PPC mini with a FireWire iSight then the CPU usage is going to be quite high. For some reason FireWire webcams use much more CPU on those old minis than USB webcams in any application. I would try reducing the Motion Detection frequency to "Less Often" in the iCamSource or disabling it altogether to see if that helps with the mini's stability.

It would also help if you could see if the iCamSource is crashing or if it is the mini locking up or losing its network connection by either connecting a monitor or connecting to the mini via Remote Desktop or VNC to get more information about what the problem is.

Dresdend

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 08:01:49 PM »
I am running 10.4.11 and the Mac mini is a PPC. I will reduce the motion detection-which is one of the features I most need and set up the remote desktop to monitor it.

Dresdend

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 11:32:24 PM »
After installing and watching VNC it appears one problem is when I access the stramonium with my iPad- seems to consistently cause the source ton quit when I expand the camera window or go to view the motion events. IPhone seems more robust.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »
After installing and watching VNC it appears one problem is when I access the stramonium with my iPad- seems to consistently cause the source ton quit when I expand the camera window or go to view the motion events. IPhone seems more robust.

I am guessing you will also see the % CPU usage of the machine max out when this happens. (Actually, viewing via VNC also increases the CPU load, further causing problems.)

If reducing the motion detection frequency does not improve stability then I would suggest using a USB webcam or network IP camera instead of the FireWire iSight with the iCamSource on a PPC computer.