Author Topic: Auto-restarting iCamSource after PC restart  (Read 3492 times)

vysk

• View Profile
Auto-restarting iCamSource after PC restart
« on: July 18, 2009, 11:27:37 AM »
I'm looking for a way to automatically restart iCamSource after the PC restarts. I'm striving for "set it and forget it" maintenance. Is there any built-in setting for this function?

I attempted to use Vista's (Home Premium) Task Scheduler without much success. I created a new task to start "C:\Program Files (x86)\iCamSource\iCamSource.exe". The task is triggered at system startup. When it's run under SYSTEM or LOCAL_SERVICE account iCanSource starts (see it in task manager) but doesn't seem to function. When attempting to use a user account, I get an error - "Task Scheduler failed to start "\iCam utility" task for user "Vysk4\Randy". Additional Data: Error Value: 2147943726."

As a aside, after starting iCamSource interactively I used Task Manager to view the iCamSource's memory usage. It oscillates from 43MB to 125MB every 10 seconds or so. Seems weird but it works.

Any help is appreciated!

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-restarting iCamSource after PC restart
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 04:12:45 PM »
Simply copy the iCamSource shortcut into your Startup folder in the Start menu. :)

If you are familiar with programming: The memory usage oscillates because of the garbage collection used by the managed code in the application. It is perfectly normal.

vysk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 05:48:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Using the Startup folder ties the application's lifetime to the user's login. When the user logs into Windows the app is started. When he logs out, the app terminates. I am looking for a way to start iCamSource whenever the PC is started and have it remain running through logins and log outs.

Thanks.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 09:48:04 PM »
Ah, I understand ... You are looking to run the iCamSource as a service. I am not sure if that is possible unless the application is designed to run that way, specifically without any kind of user interface.