Author Topic: Everything working - but i'm confused!  (Read 2139 times)

SeanJ

• View Profile
Everything working - but i'm confused!
« on: August 16, 2011, 03:26:44 PM »
I'm running two computers, 3 cams on computer 1 and a single cam on computer 2 ( both running xp with latest icam software). The thing is i did some group port forwarding on my router for each computer (forwarding 12000-12100 for each ip address). I could see that icam auto configure had chosen ports 12002 & 12003 (respectively on each computer) but with my port forwarding enabled in the router (udp) I was getting irregular results -with one comp or the other showing it's cams.  To cut a long story short I turned off the port forwarding in the router and all 4 cams come online together - both locally on my wifi and the internet - Success!!

I checked all my ports on portforward.net and it says they are blocked, but they obviously are working, to recap portforward says they are blocked when i forward them in my router and when they are turned off -but i cam is happily serving pictures locally and on the net with it's auto configuration saying its using 12002 & 12003?

I'm happy i've got a working setup but it doesn't figure when I test it. Just to be sure I tested another port that should be open for another file share prog and it shows as open (as it should). Anyone make sense of this or experience it themselves out there?

Sean
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:29:15 PM by SeanJ »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Everything working - but i'm confused!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »
When you plan to use manual port forwarding, you have to enable it in icamsource (not use auto router config). Also, the ports forwarded to each computer cannot overlap. In other words, if you tell your router to forward port 12000 to 2 different places, it doesn't know which one to forward it to. This results in no connection at worst, and inconsistent connection at best. I have a similar setup to you. I assigned my 2 computers a static IP on the local network, then forwarded a range of ports to one computer, and a different range of ports to the other computer (7 udp ports forwarded per camera). Then I enabled manual port forwarding in icamsource on each computer and entered the 2 respective range of ports from above. Manual port forwarding is a real pain to set up properly. However, once it's configured properly, the setup is rock solid...and slightly more secure than using uPNP, which could be a security risk if a hacker were to gain control of your system (not hard for pros). If they can easily open up ports in your network, it's like opening the doors to more attacks/hacks/etc.

As far as the ports being reported as opened or closed...for me, it depended on if I set up a firewall rule or used actual port forwarding in my router settings. I think the response will also vary depending on if there is software listening to that port. If software is not running and listening to that port, it would be like knocking on the door of a house when nobody is home. The door is locked closed, and nobody is there to open it. At least that's my basic understanding of it.

SeanJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 05:49:55 PM »
Hi Antony, thanks for your input on this matter, it was something I though i had down until adding a 2nd comp. Since writing that post I have discovered that my router software (Tomato) has uPNP'd the ports (as auto configured by icamsource) there was a page in my router software displaying this which I was never aware of  :-[.

Nyway, as you outline, manual port forwarding does sound like the way to go in relation to any possible hacks if they were to occur. What puzzled me is why portchecker.net reads all these 'open' ports (12000-12003) as blocked - when they clearly are not - as the router has been tasked to forward them by icamsource.

My attempt at manual port forwarding (not using auto configure) was patchy so your range advice is welcomed. If i've understood properly you'd reccomend giving each cam a range of about 7 ports - so on pc1 running 3 cams it could be '12000-12021'  and pc2 (running 1 cam) could just be '12022-12029' (with no autoconfigure in use) and this should suffice?

As i said though, all is working fine currently so i will attempt a manual port forward sometime soon, thanks as usual for your help, much apreciated.

Sean
 :)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:03:27 PM by SeanJ »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 05:20:36 AM »
"My attempt at manual port forwarding (not using auto configure) was patchy so your range advice is welcomed. If i've understood properly you'd reccomend giving each cam a range of about 7 ports - so on pc1 running 3 cams it could be '12000-12021'  and pc2 (running 1 cam) could just be '12022-12029' (with no autoconfigure in use) and this should suffice?"

Correct!