Author Topic: Number of cameras  (Read 3248 times)

janiemae

• View Profile
Number of cameras
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:06:59 PM »
How many cameras can you add to one computer?   Dont you have to have a download with a screen, for each camera?    Three cameras, 3 picture screens, 4 cameras, 4 picture screens?     Is this correct.   Or one screen, and keep adding new cameras to one screen picture.

Thanks

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Number of cameras
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 09:49:59 PM »
You can add add up to 16 webcams or network IP cameras from a single computer, although your computer's hardware limitations (USB bus, CPU, memory) may further limit that number.

You do not need to run multiple instances of iCamSource. To add a camera, click on the + button underneath the cameras pane (for a screenshot go to http://skjm.com/icam/help/#setup) and follow the instructions below:

For USB, FireWire, or Built-In webcams, you should be able to make your choice from the Audio and Video drop-down lists underneath the USB / FireWire / Built-In tab.

If you add a stand-alone network IP camera, you first need to find the correct MJPEG or JPEG URL for your camera. Enter it along with your camera's Login and Password (if any) into the iCamSource.

More detailed instructions are available at our Getting Started pages: http://skjm.com/icam/help/#setup

Stunt Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 03:50:47 AM »
I’ve heard that you can fix 14 to 16 cameras in your pc.

gleep52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 02:56:32 PM »
Is there a way to do more than 16 cameras?  We bought a mac mini with 8GB of ram and a i7 processor for iCam.  We want to stream our security cameras to all administrators who have iPads.

janiemae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 07:25:35 PM »
 :)Ok,  I have an Imac.  I have one built in camera, and one longitech camera and they are working fine.  Have second longitech camera, plugged in directly to computer as well.  When I add this 2nd camera,  the list for choosing which camera comes up with longitech camera 2.   I add that but it does not register.   Am I doing something wrong?   I have 2 big imacs I can only get the built in, and one longitech camera per computer to work.  Any help appreciated.   Thanks

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 11:09:20 PM »
Is there a way to do more than 16 cameras?  We bought a mac mini with 8GB of ram and a i7 processor for iCam.  We want to stream our security cameras to all administrators who have iPads.

Thank you for your post.

No, currently iCamSource supports up to 16 cameras. Support for more cameras has been requested in the past and is currently on our list of potential features to implement in the future.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 11:47:03 PM »
:)Ok,  I have an Imac.  I have one built in camera, and one longitech camera and they are working fine.  Have second longitech camera, plugged in directly to computer as well.  When I add this 2nd camera,  the list for choosing which camera comes up with longitech camera 2.   I add that but it does not register.   Am I doing something wrong?   I have 2 big imacs I can only get the built in, and one longitech camera per computer to work.  Any help appreciated.   Thanks

We've heard reports of problems of certain Mac models that prevent multiple USB cameras working simultaneously due to an issue with the USB bus. It isn't a problem with iCamSource in particular, because the problem occurs with other programs as well.

You can find out if this is the problem you are experiencing by trying to open two of the cameras in different programs simultaneously (such as iChat or Photobooth).  For example, open one camera in Photobooth and then try to open a different camera in iChat.