Author Topic: DNS Program Auto Changes IP but Icamsource lose connection  (Read 5720 times)

Denver

• View Profile
DNS Program Auto Changes IP but Icamsource lose connection
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »
Hello,

I currently have the DNS program, that lets it auto change my DNS server ip, as my ip changes almost every 10 hours.

But as soon as my ip changes, I lose connection with the source program.

I have to click on the stop button and start again to reconnect to the same DNS address .

Is there a auto reconnect funcion or something I can do so the program like refreshes it self?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: DNS Program Auto Changes IP but Icamsource lose connection
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:26:42 PM »
Are you referring to DDNS (dynamic DNS)? If so, the updater program simply reports your current IP address (assigned by your ISP) to the DDNS provider (such as dyndns.org). In other words, it would be your Internet provider changing your IP address. Are you on high speed Internet? My ISP has never changed my IP that often. Oh, and what country are you located in?

If the SKJM guys can't get you up and running, and if you are on a Windows machine, you can always schedule a batch file to automatically restart icamsource every few hours. If you have to go that route and need help, let me know.

Denver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 04:41:48 PM »
yes DDNS, on a cable modem currently in Aruba and on a w7 machine.

yes I will need something that can restart the icamsource every few hours

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 05:24:31 PM »
This is a message that I sent to someone...it contains the code I used in my batch file back when I needed it. The /f in taskkill forces the icamsource to exit (in case it hangs). The ping command is actually not pinging anything...it's actually pausing the batch file for 5000 milliseconds (adjust this as desired...but make sure not to go below the minimum amount of time it takes for Windows to kill icamsource in the first place. Copy/paste the below code into notepad, click File > Save As, change the file type to "all files" and name the file "icam.bat". Finally, go to Control Panel > view by small icons > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler > Create Task...> Name it "icamsource restart" > Run whether user is logged on or not > you might possibly have to run with highest privileges > Triggers tab > New... > One time > Repeat task every 1 hour or less for a duration of indefinite days (or make it more specific if your IP issue happens at the same time every day) --set to every one hour, the maximum possibly downtime when IP changes at unknown time would be 59 minutes > Enabled > Actions tab > Browse to the icam.bat file that you saved earlier > click OK

taskkill /f /im icamsource.exe
ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 5000 > nul
c:
cd \
cd "C:\Program Files\iCamSource\"
iCamSource.exe

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 05:25:03 PM »
Also, are you using an IP camera or built-in/USB webcam?

Denver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 06:18:44 PM »
ip cam

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 07:30:52 PM »
Is the IP cam on the same network as the computer running icamsource? Are you using your ddns address as the source address for the IP cam in icamsource, or are you using the local network IP address of the IP cam as the source in icamsource? In other words, does your camera source look more like:

A) myddns.dyndns.com:80/video.cgi

or

B) 192.168.1.240/video.cgi

Denver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 10:21:21 PM »
A.

That is why I made a DNS account and added the program so I can use my local ip of my computer.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 11:56:17 PM »
If your IP camera is on the same local network as the computer running icamsource, your camera source should look like B, not A. It should only look like A if the IP camera is on a remote network offsite. If they are on the same network together (and stay on the same network together), you should change it to look like B and your problems will go away. If that doesn't fix everything, I'd recommend a slight modification to the icam.bat file...delete the original file and use the code below (using the same filename: icam.bat). This code might eliminate any significant down time, as it will force the computer to acquire a new IP address (although this won't help if your computer is hooked up to a router using DHCP) and then restart icamsource. Also make sure that you have DDNS setup in the router, as well as running the automatic DNS updater on your computer. This will keep your IP/DDNS in sync. If any of this confuses you, try explaining your network setup.

ipconfig -release
ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 10000 > nul
ipconfig -renew
ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 10000 > nul
taskkill /f /im icamsource.exe
ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 5000 > nul
c:
cd \
cd "C:\Program Files\iCamSource\"
iCamSource.exe

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 12:32:33 AM »
iCamSource has the ability to deal with rapidly changing IP addresses, but the feature needs to be enabled.  

Please e-mail support@skjm.com for more details.

Once you enable the feature, you'll need to quit and relaunch iCamSource so that it uses the new settings.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:25:17 PM by Stefan »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 01:15:45 AM »
Ohhhh, nice. :)

Denver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »
The reg file didn't work .   I might have not explained well I am using my internet ip (so I can see my cam anywhere in the world). and I have the auto ip change program from DNS so everytime my isp changes my ip the program auto changes it for me in my DNS account (myddns.dyndns.com:80/video.cgi)

But the problem is everytime it changes my ip the icamsource lossed the connection I have to click on the stop butten then start again. I have the auto-start and auto-config select but to no help.

I will try the solution you requested Anthony but don't know if there is a actual other solution or a build in feature I have to manualy do it or something?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 06:02:06 PM »
It can take 5-15 minutes or so for the iCamSource to register the change with the server.

Denver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »
I did it restarted the pc then open up the icam for changes to happen.
I waited 1 whole day so the ip can change to see if it reconnects alone in the source program came back and it said connection lost as soon as the ip changed.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 04:27:06 PM »
When the IP changes, it may take up to 15 minutes for the new IP to show up in the server, so iCam won't work during that short period of time but should kick back in.