Author Topic: Possible AT&T 3G Changes Coming for iOS Devices Running iCam?  (Read 112432 times)

artistofideas

• View Profile
Re: Possible AT&T 3G Changes Coming for iOS Devices Running iCam?
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2011, 04:42:01 AM »
UPDATE: Ipad2 ATT 3G

ICam on Ipad2 WAS working with (external) wifi hot spots  (but not via AT&T 3G) ...

... UNTIL I downloaded that (old) SKJM registry adjustment program
and attempted to muck about with the router port forwarding.

NOW: Home wifi still works, but will no longer connect at wifi hotspots. ("broker")

Oh well. This is what happens when morons muck about. :-)

If you already have port forwarding configured on your router, I would like to try and confirm that your port forwarding is functioning as we expect it to. If you visit this link in your computer's web browser: http://portchecker.net/udp.php?p=12001

... it will open a webpage that contains a Java Applet in it (similar to iCamWeb) that will be able to listen on port 12000 for a UDP packet to be sent from a server on the Internet to your computer.

If your port forwarding is functioning correctly then you should see a message saying that the port is "open." If it is not functioning correctly, it should say that it is blocked.

Also, please send a screenshot of your router's port forwarding configuration to support@skjm.com so we can verify the settings. Please reference this post and your username.

FOLLOW UP (2): Status - Wifi AND AT&T 3G are working :-)

NOTE1: This is the first time I'd tried to configure port forwarding on a router. Comment: I easily set the porting range, but it wasn't obvious to me what ip to port them to. :-) Finally figured out to hover the cursor over the network map to see the local network ip of the laptop. (Of course I'd previously had wifi hotspot working, so my problem probably had nothing to do with that. LoL

NOTE 2: The real problem (I fairly sure) was setting the software firewall on the PC to allow the connection to ... but let us note that the wifi hotspot connection had previously worked before I got this "fixed."

SO .. the problem of AT&T 3G connection was PERHAPS solved when I was attempting to set the software firewall rules of ICamSource (both inbound and outbound) ... AND also set the advanced rules to "Allow edge traversal."

BOTTOM LINE: I honestly don't know which of the things I did fixed the problem ... BUT after first breaking everything (so that even local wifi wouldn't work) ... I finally managed to solve the AT&T 3G "broker" problem.

ONE QUESTION FOR THE SKJM TEAM: Do you think the "Allow edge traversal" option had something to do with allowing AT&T 3G to work? (I have no idea. LoL)

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2011, 12:02:30 AM »
I'm having similar problems.
3G on ATT Ipad - does not work, source connection error, broker server
3G on Verizon Android - Works
WIFI anywhere - Works

ATT IP starts with 198 in So. Cal.

Have you tried checking the Auto-Config Router checkbox in the iCamSource before clicking the Start button? If that doesn't work, please let us know what status message appears next to the Auto-Config Router checkbox when you run iCamSource with that option enabled.

I tried the Auto-Config router - status message is: UPnP Success 12006-> 12006 (click for info)

Still having problems with AT&T 3G using iPad (does not connect)  - Verizon 3G and all WIFI seems to work, as does iCamWeb.

Since the auto-configuration logic isn't working, the next thing to try is to manually configure your router for port forwarding. There's more information about using port forwarding with iCamSource here: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.0

If you have any problems with the instructions on that page, please let us know the Brand/Model of your router so we can find port forwarding instructions for your particular router.

yourmap

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2011, 05:48:38 PM »
I do not have access to the routers.  I should have mentioned that this behavior is on 2 different local Networks and 3 different computers running icamsource.

Am I just out of luck using iCam with AT&T 3G?  My Verizon 3G iCam works, as does WIFI on all Networks and Computers without port forwarding.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2011, 01:08:15 AM »
I do not have access to the routers.  I should have mentioned that this behavior is on 2 different local Networks and 3 different computers running icamsource.

Am I just out of luck using iCam with AT&T 3G?  My Verizon 3G iCam works, as does WIFI on all Networks and Computers without port forwarding.

Unfortunately, the last option is to forward ports in your router.The Firewall piercing techniques used by iCam depend on network configuration on both the iCamSource side and the phone side. That's why it behaves differently on the different networks.

yourmap

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2011, 02:04:34 PM »
Since this seems to be a problem only with AT&T Cell (3G) network connections,  I think they must be doing some unnecessary blocking of your UDP packets.

BTW, I don't have the AT&T problem with other "iPad to PC" apps (like Tonido).

How would I explain this issue to AT&T support?

If AT&T can't help, I guess my new 3G devices will be with Verizon.

Thanks,

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »
Since this seems to be a problem only with AT&T Cell (3G) network connections,  I think they must be doing some unnecessary blocking of your UDP packets.

BTW, I don't have the AT&T problem with other "iPad to PC" apps (like Tonido).

How would I explain this issue to AT&T support?

If AT&T can't help, I guess my new 3G devices will be with Verizon.

Thanks,

According to the Tonido site: http://www.tonido.com/support/display/docs/Understanding+How+Tonido+Works

"When you connect to your Tonido software outside the network, say the internet, you are connecting to your home via our relay servers. "

Which means that the traffic is passed from the home computer to a Tonido-owned server and finally to the phone.  That is different from iCam, which uses a direct phone to PC connection.

yourmap

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2011, 09:32:33 PM »
Thank you for the explanation on how Todnido differs from iCam.

I'm still wondering how to approach AT&T wireless with this issue, as I believe it is theirs.  Any suggestions?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2011, 05:29:20 PM »
The 198.x.x.x network uses a more complex port translation scheme than most other networks (such as the Verizon network and the WiFi networks you mentioned). iCam uses firewall piercing techniques that work on most networks, but those techniques don't work on the 198.x.x.x network because of the complex port translation scheme it uses.

Nittro

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2011, 07:16:29 PM »
Have you guys discovered a fix yet? I'm in Florida and have the 198 ip and im not able to connect using 3g?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2011, 10:02:21 PM »
Have you guys discovered a fix yet? I'm in Florida and have the 198 ip and im not able to connect using 3g?

The solution for users experiencing this particular issue is to use the Auto-Config Router option. If that does not work the only thing left to try is Port Forwarding. More information about Port Forwarding can be found on this forum thread: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=402

figshop

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2011, 12:42:34 AM »
Like many others using ICAM I to found that I could connect via wifi but not through AT&T's 3G network using my Iphone.

Here is what I did to get mine to work:
I manually entered the port forwarding range as suggested in this thread 12000 to 12100 in my Linksys E3000 router with the IP address of the computer running on my network (that is running ICAM source and that has my usb camera attached).

I use my Iphone to connect and my IP has 166 in Southern, California.

I had the auto configure checked in ICAM source but I unchecked the box and I was finally able to connect via 3G, however, entering the port forwarding information was the thing that helped me.

My router is connected to a cable modem but I never made any changes to that.

I hope that this helps others.

shadowen

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2011, 06:45:31 PM »
1) 166
2) Chicago, IL

LTD

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2011, 10:47:57 AM »
198.xxxxxx

Windsor, Colorado.

I've tried everything and can't connect.  VERY frustrated.  This used to be a bulletproof application.  Does anybody have a recommendation for an application that works?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2011, 12:20:30 PM »
198.xxxxxx

Windsor, Colorado.

I've tried everything and can't connect.  VERY frustrated.  This used to be a bulletproof application.  Does anybody have a recommendation for an application that works?

The solution for this particular issue has been to try the Auto-Config Router option. If that does not work, then Port Forwarding should resolve it.

There's more information about using port forwarding with iCamSource here: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.0

If you have any problems with the instructions on that page, please send the Brand/Model of your router to support@skjm.com, so I can find port forwarding instructions for your particular router. Please reference this post and your username.

alan

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2012, 07:45:51 AM »
Just checked my ip and it is the 198. I have at&t. As stated in previous post when I upgraded to the new Iphone 4s and instlled icam app the app crashes upon opening. I have no problem with Iphone 3gs that has not updated opperating system. I am in fLORIDA